Gibson Brands Forums

I could use some amp advice...

I play currently through a peavey classic 30. A friend of mine gave me a wedge stage monitor cabinet that can support a 12', 16 ohm speaker. I plan to build an extension speaker. My questions are:

a) will the extension speaker boost the overall volume (if so by how much)?

=P~ will I be able to bet a meatier sound with an ext spkr?

c) will I need to mic both spkrs in a live stage setting?

d) and finally, any suggestions?

I play currently through a peavey classic 30.

What speaker compliment?

a) will the extension speaker boost the overall volume (if so by how much)?

Depends on what your output transformer thinks of what you add. If you show it a load that it's not terribly happy with, you could actually DECREASE output.

;) will I be able to bet a meatier sound with an ext spkr?

Again, it depends on the load you're showing the output transformer, vs. what it PREFERS to see, and also what speaker you load into the extension cab.

c) will I need to mic both spkrs in a live stage setting?

You never HAVE to mic multiple speakers. That would purely be a choice.

d) and finally, any suggestions?

Tread slowly, and do a lot of homework.

well... The amp came with a 12" 16ohm Blue Marvel. I was looking of the Peavey Classic 112e... it was designed for the Classic 30 (which still comes stock with ext spkr output jack), but since they have been discontinued since the mid 80's (fuzzy on the actual dates) they are outrageously expensive... I figured I try to replicate the 112e cabinet. I know speakers must be matched, so I was looking for a 12" 16 ohm spkr (eBay is littered with different brands) I guess I am not sure what, if any, internal wiring (other than from the spkr to the jack) may be required... my plan, for now, is to get the exact spkr my amp comes stocked with... are there any sites or books that anyone knows on the subject?

Lots of decent, reasonably priced cabinets out there. Check Lopo and Avatar, for some good options.

If you run 2 x 16 ohm speakers in series, you're showing the amp a 32 ohm load. 2 x 16 in parallel is 8. Keep that in mind. If you're amp likes to see a 16 ohm load, you're probably best off keeping it 16 ohms, regardless of how many speakers you're running. In other words, to maintain a 16 ohm load with 2 speakers, you should run 2 - 8 ohm speakers in series.

Archived