Gibson Brands Forums

EVJunior (12at7) with a Jensen C10Q..WOW!

My stock valve junior was amazing on its on as far as Overdrive but little to much for my taste and NO! headroom ha.

My first upgade was a Groover 12AT7 preamp swap and a Mesa Boogie EL84 swap. The tone changed quiet a bit but not massive. My head did not start breaking up noticable til about 1/4 of the way which was just enough volume for stage use miced.

My second was my purchase was a Vox Pathfinder 15R and i preamped it with my Epi head. Honeslty this basically boosted the signal and gave it even better cleans. These Vox Pathfinder beleive it or not are Solid State but sound tubey. I beleive it has the best clean headroom for any 15w amp out there. Also it gave it more of a tube bite with the head. The Vox only had a 8" Bulldog speaker so my bass was pretty shot ha. It was useable though until my recent upgrade.

After looking into the cab of the Vox i noticed how a 10" or even a 12" could fit in this thing if the preamp was removed. So...i did so ha. I went on the internet and purchased a Jensen C10q, removed the Vox preamp from its cab, went to Lowes and bought a sheet of 3 ply wood. I screwed out the Vox face plate and replaced it with the ply with a 9" hole cut dead center. I stained the ply with Mahogany and placed the Vox cloth over the hole for protection of the speaker. Now my cab looks custom. I saved to Vox preamp for a later project. It sounds to good alone to dump.

With the Speaker replacement..this EVJ head now opens up its true colors. It changed the tone only little because the head has alot of gain. It did make it louder and clearer. Bass is fuller also. This amp is far from the bright and clear cleans from a Fender Champion 600 but has its own tone in general. The Jensen was a big improvement and the cab makes it look even better.

My goal was to buy a Fender Champion 600 but after research i see that it can be moded to sound pretty close. The Bitmo Mods seem amazing so my next project is that. If this does not get the Fender tone then i will eventually buy a Fender Pro Junior swap the Jensen out of the Vox and put the stock Fender speaker in the Vox. My idea is to use the Fender for cleans/rythm and use the Epiphone head for Overdrives. Getting a nice A/B/X switch can make this very versital.

Since the Evj head is only 5w it has a very nice natural Overdrive ao i use a Electro Harmonix Nano booster as a Overdrive ha. Its very nice and Natural sounding. My Boss SD-1 gives more of a indy sound in front of the Nano.

My next pedal will be a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 for more versital sounds.

Giod Bless guys

Archived