Gibson Brands Forums

Triggerman 60DSP

figjam

For my first posting, I have what is probably a dumb question. I recently purchased a Triggerman 60DSP to go along with the Raven hollowbody that my daughter-in-law saved from the garbage bin for me (actually a sweet little guitar!). I have been playing for 40+ years but haven't had an electric since the '70's so I am very much out of the loop. My question is what are the DI Out, Aux In, Aux Out and Effects Return and Send used for?

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick and welcome to the Forum :-)

I have also been playing guitar for 40+ years (1 year proficiency x 40 years). I live across the river and to the east of Maple Ridge. The 70's were also my glory years with Gibson guitars and Fender amps (sigh) when they were affordable.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge, suffice it to say that the DI Out would go Directly into the board. Aux In/Out would be for a CD or tape player, etc., while the Effects Return (out) and Send (in) are for putting rack-mounted effects units "into the loop". Some non-distortion stompboxes will also work well in the "effects loop".

Hope this helps...

Frank :-)

Frank

Thanks for welcome and the info! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the board". The rest makes sense though. I think I will concentrate on improving my techniques before I venture into the world of "stompboxes" and such... I had forgotten how much the amplifier makes the mistakes more noticeable! Oh well, I'm having fun and I guess that's all that really matters.

Rick

Hi Rick,

By "the board", I am referring to the PA system control board and/or mixing console. I play electric guitar in a church worship band, and all of the vocals/instruments are either mic'd or "DI'd" directly into the PA system. When an amp is "DI'd", you can use the speaker in your amp as a personal monitor (at a lower level) and leave what the audience hears to the soundman. My amp is in a closed room offstage, with a microphone in front of it. Each of the band members has a small individual monitor mixing console in front of them, so they can adjust the volume of each voice and instrument exactly the way they want to hear the mix. Instead of standard monitor speakers on stage, each person has a set of earphones/headphones as monitors. The advantage of this system is a dramatic reduction in "stage volume". This way, each musician/singer can hear themselves clearly, eliminating the need to constantly turn up your amp so you can hear yourself. This is why you see many guitarists plug into a mic'd 15/20/30/50 watt amp instead of a stack of Marshalls, like when we grew up. Increasingly, many bands have all of their huge amp stacks on stage strictly as props, while they are actually getting sweet tone from a much smaller amp hidden in back. Hope this helps and talk to you soon...

Frank.

Frank

Thanks for the great explanation. I understand now. It sure is different than when I played in a band. I think my ears are still ringing from some of the venues we played (at that time I played bass). All the mic's were run through the P.A. and we cranked the Traynors and the Ampeg up LOUD! Ah yes, the good old days!

Rick

Archived