Gibson Brands Forums

Epi ES-175 Reissue Wiring Diagrams?

Aniden DP

Epi Owners,

I am sure this has probably been covered somewhere on the forum, but I just can't find it. Looking for some help, before I cart my guitar in to a tech and pray it turns out OK...

I want to install two '57 Gibson Classic humbuckers in place of the stock Epi humbuckers (on my ES-175 Reissue). Finally figured out (thanks to a few helpers online) that the wire shielding on the new pickups is to be soldered to the back of the volume pot, and the "hot" lead is wired to the proper contact (forget tech term) on the volume pot.

Issue - When I removed all the electronics (seemed like the only way to get to it all), I noticed a red wire (over 6 inches long) soldered to the back of the neck pickup tone pot, with the opposite end just dangling free. The free end looks to have no solder on it.

Any ideas as to what this is? Was it attached somewhere and I just inadvertantly pulled it free?

I also have not been able to find a wiring diagram online for the Epi ES-175 Reissue.

Thanks in advance!

What you are describing sounds like it may be the ground wire for the trapeze tailpiece. There should be a wire that comes through a hole in the bottom end of the guitar and sits under (and makes contact with) the tailpiece end plate. (There could be other ways that it is attached.) It would come from the closest ground point (the metal case of your tone pot) to the tailpiece.

To verify this, you will have to relieve ALL tension on the strings (you've probably removed them anyway if you pulled the electronics) and unfasten the tailpiece at the bottom of the guitar.

There's probably enough slack to strip the end about 1/2" and re-tuck it under the tailpiece plate when you reassemble.

Archived