Gibson Brands Forums

HELP!!

fiddlinjd

so, i got an SG here... its got a crack along the neck heel.

what i need from yous (with experience) is information on the neck tenon, possibly a photo of the neck removed. they've covered it in some black powder. i cleaned it up with some sandpaper and its still very unclear where the tenon meets (in the neck PU slot).

a quick test has show me they used a non hide glue, which is stupid.... so i'd like to be very sure as to how the tenon runs through the body before i start using copious amounts of heat to remove this neck!!

to make matters worse, its very sloppy in there, not a very quality job of joinery... i am not used to pulling apart crumby guitars... so yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

i can see where the tenon would usually join as per usual on any gibson... thats where i melted some glue, but i removed all the glue with a soldering iron and there is no join.

about a 1/4" up towards the neck, there is another line that could also be a join. i've done this many times but this lil guy confuses the hell out of me! i've slide my knife in on the bottom, i've loosened it all around, but i need to know that rear datum, the damn carpenters glue is the worst way to join a neck and yeep, they've done it!

i have no photos for you... fortunately, they are all the same! haha so any luthiers out there that have come across the ugly epiphone tenon joint - please help!

Archived