Gibson Brands Forums

Change pups in DOT and re-finish LP

winterland

First project ...A while back I posted a thread asking for guidance on changing pickups in a DOT .. Received many helpful responses of course. Pulling the old (stock) pickups out and soldering in the new (SD59s) was super easy .. The hard part is getting the outjack and pots in through the F hole and into their respective spots ... So far I have managed to get the outjack and one of the volume pots back in. If you are ever faced with the dilemma of whether to change electronics on a semi-hollow yourself or have professional handle it, my best advice is to think twice - It requires alot of patience !!!

Second project .. I have an LP 100 (ebony) that has basically been collecting dust for a year .. I have an American Strat and DOT that I love to play, so the LP is really never used. I decided to take it completely apart, strip the finish, and then re-finish and rebuild with premium electronics ... I will have to post some pics when I get a chance, but I started sanding the neck last night and have about 3/4 of it done. I have not decided on the new finish yet, but I am thinking maybe Olympic white w/black trim and components. Obviously this is quite a bit of work, but I am hoping all the manual labor will create a bond with this guitar. So far so good ...

i have always liked lp-100's. i have one and a guitar player in an old band of mine had one. they dont sound like a les paul of course,

but are a pretty good guitar. my wife had a squier jagmaster for about the same price, and i would take the 100 every time.

Archived