Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr Head through my Valve Senior Combo??

Saljam

Is it possible to run a Valve Jr head though a Valve Sr combo? My Valve Sr is pretty loud and I've been looking for an inexpensive low watt amp. Could this be a good option for me? Would there be a huge difference in tones between the 6V6's and the EL84? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

You may connect the EVJ output to the speaker in the combo.

You must disconnect the speaker from the EV-Senior. You may not notice much difference in volume, the EVJ will sound louder through a bigger speaker box, it can produce half the volume of a 50 watt amp. The 18 watt EV-Senior can produce half the power of a 180 watt amp (and why your bass player needs that 300 watt SS combo).

You cannot connect the output of the EVJ to the input of the EV-Senior = BANG! $$$

Tonally there is a greater difference in the design of these two than the bottles: the EVJ is single-ended, the EV-Senior is push-pull.

Much rubbish is talked about SE guitar amps (and even more about Class A), but the best guitar amps are all push-pull (and none of them are Class A). In a similar/same design amp, the 6V6GT and EL84 will sound very adjacent. A popular mod for the EVJ is to add an octal socket to take a 6V6/5881/6L6GC/EL34/KT77 etc.

You may connect the EVJ output to the speaker in the combo.

You must disconnect the speaker from the EV-Senior. You may not notice much difference in volume' date=' the EVJ will sound louder through a bigger speaker box, it can produce half the volume of a 50 watt amp. The 18 watt EV-Senior can produce half the power of a 180 watt amp (and why your bass player needs that 300 watt SS combo).

You cannot connect the output of the EVJ to the input of the EV-Senior = BANG! $$$

Tonally there is a greater difference in the design of these two than the bottles: the EVJ is single-ended, the EV-Senior is push-pull.

Much rubbish is talked about SE guitar amps (and even more about Class A), but the best guitar amps are all push-pull (and none of them are Class A). In a similar/same design amp, the 6V6GT and EL84 will sound very adjacent. A popular mod for the EVJ is to add an octal socket to take a 6V6/5881/6L6GC/EL34/KT77 etc.[/quote']

Thanks for the response... have you played throught a Valve Sr? I'm waiting to hear what people think of these amps

Archived