Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Fitting a seymour duncan jb into an epiphone dot semi-hollow

jimzer

hey guys

i've decided to utilise the splicing (cheat) method to fit a seymour duncan jb into my epiphone dot. ive taken off the plastic pickup ring and all i see is one black wire going from the bridge pickup to into the guitar's body. i was wondering how this works as you can see:

http://www.seymourduncan...uppor...tic=2h_2v_2t_3w

seymour duncans have a green and bare wire that's soldered to the volume pot.

would i have to fish out my volume pot and solder the green and bare wires to my dot's volume pot? is there a way around this? can i just snip the single black wire of the stock bridge pu and splice my JB's black to the stock black wire? please help!

if you need pics pls let me know.

thank you

If the duncan has 4 wires plus a bit of shielding foil (and a bare wire attached to it), but the epiphone wire has 1 wire for signal plus the shielding foil and bare wire (if I remember rightly), what you would to to splice them is join the duncan red and white, solder and insulate; join the bare and green from the duncan to the bare of the epiphone, solder and insulate; and join the black wire to the single wire in the Epiphone one.

However, if you are feeling up to it, you're better off running the 4 conductor wire through to the pot, it will give you more flexability in the future if you want to do anything with it. and it will leave more wire attached to the pickup if you want to use the pickup in something else in the future.

thanks so much guys. i got it done.

i didnt realise the ground wire covered up the lead wire so i was a bit unsure. thanks to all of you so much again. now to find some spare wire to lengthen the wires on my epi pickup for a spare haha

Archived