Gibson Brands Forums

Should I remove Explorer Pickup Covers

Derek Russell

Hi All

My first post. This may have been asked before but here goes.

I just bought a 58' Korina Explorer Natural. I have heard that you get a better sound if you remove the pickup covers, especially on the neck pickup. Does anyone have any experience of this and does it help or should I just leave it?

Thanks

D [biggrin]

Now this is a doozie.

I have a Gothic Explorer (same pickups but uncovered) and with the stock pickups, I found that the bridge pickup was very good, but the neck pickup was a total mud factory.

Hungrycat, I believe, has a Black Explorer, and with the covered pickups found the bridge pickup to be feeble while the neck pickup was fantastic.

Ultimately it's 95% comestic, although open coils sound a tad hotter and tighter, while covered are a tad more subtle and airy. It's a very small difference though.

In any case, for all the trouble it would cause you to uncover them, you may as well just get some GFS pickups and get (probably) better tone anyway. [biggrin]

you may as well just get some GFS pickups[biggrin]

Thanks for the advice. Any particular pickups you would recommend? I had a quick look on their website but there is a lot on there and I am a little lost when it comes to this to be honest.

Thanks again

D [biggrin]

Archived