Gibson Brands Forums

Question regarding nighthawk setup

KnightHawk

Quick question guys...

I have an epiphone nighthawk (similar to a gibson ST3)

It has a five way selector switch and a two way toggle switch. Only nine positions produce a tone, each time a switch is moved the volume changes. Is this normal? Do you think this needs looking at to have the wiring corrected?

Without looking at the electronics, I would guess that the volume change comes from switching between pickups that haven't been height-adjusted for volume. 

I've never seen a Nighthawk with a 2-way toggle of any kind, I imagine this would be a coil-split put in by a previous user, providing you purchased the guitar second-hand. That would also be another reason for the volume changes, and it might've been wired for one position to act like a killswitch (not unheard of.)

Hope that helps.  [thumbup]

Without looking at the electronics, I would guess that the volume change comes from switching between pickups that haven't been height-adjusted for volume. 

I've never seen a Nighthawk with a 2-way toggle of any kind, I imagine this would be a coil-split put in by a previous user, providing you purchased the guitar second-hand. That would also be another reason for the volume changes, and it might've been wired for one position to act like a killswitch (not unheard of.)

Hope that helps.  [thumbup]

Awesome! Cheers for the expertise, much appreciated matey.

Archived