Gibson Brands Forums

WWII J-45 What Year?

Dennis14

I need help finding the year of manufacture of a Gibson J-45 my Dad bought around WWII. It has a script Gibson and includes the banner "Only a Gibson is Good Enough". It has a thick neck. I can't read all of the Factory Order Number (FON). I see a 258, some space (I think digits have faded), and the -14 hand written in red pencil. I find conflicting Web sites on FON numbers and guitar descriptions. Any ideas?

I'd call Gibson Customer service. They will be able to give you more information, than most people around here. I know my vintage knowledge for Gibson doesn't really start until the mid 40's, and I think it's the same for most of us here.

Give them a call at 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766), and talk to someone there. Try to read the serial number as best you can because thats where they'll probably start. But to be honest I'm not sure if they even have their build records from back then, but hopefully they can help.

If Gibson can't tell you what your looking for, next I'd try calling Gruhn guitars in Nashville, one of the best vintage dealers in the country and they know more about vintage Gibson's than most people. 615-256-2033 is Gruhns number. They may have you send them some pics of the guitar and could possibly charge you a small fee, but the guitar sounds special to you, so I'm assuming you won't mind that if they can help. But definitely try them if Gibson can't help.

If neither Gibson nor Gruhn can help, I'd call these two places and see if they can tell you anything. Out of all my traveling these two places have always had a wealth of knowledge about vintage instruments, including Gibson's.

Normans Rare Guitars - 818-344-8300

Chicago Music Exchange - 888-686-7872

Hope this helps a little.

Archived