Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Orville Series Guitars

River432

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site, and have to admit that I joined primarily to find out any information regarding a used Epiphone Classical Electric Guitar, model C70CE, that I recently purchased in a private sale. What seems to make this guitar so unique are the following: crescent moon & star logo on headstock; sticker inside guitar that indicates model no. C70CE, "Made in Korea, and "Ephiphone Orville Series"; and serial no. Y0070444. This guitar appears to be very well made with what I believe to be a solid spruce top and rosewood sides and back. I might also add that, although it is anywhere from 10-20 years old, it is really flawless in its condition.

I have been unable to find much information on the Internet regarding this guitar, and what I have found has been confusing and not without controversy. There is some belief among some that all Orville series (or Orville by Gibson) guitars were made in Japan, and none were made in Korea. There is also very little information on the crescent moon/star logo, except for a couple of Harmony reviews that mention the logo, however, these guitars appear to be a different model no. (EO-1 or EO-2). Also, a research of the serial number yielded negative results for any Epiphone guitars beginning with a 'Y'. To further complicate things, I did find some decent photos online of an Epiphone model C70CE guitar, however, the sticker indicates "Epiphone" and does not have "Orville Series" as mine does. Also, these photos do not show a good closeup of the headstock, so I'm unable to determine if the guitar has the crescent moon/star logo. Otherwise, the guitar appears to be the same as my guitar.

With all the lack of information and confusion about this guitar, I began to think that I possibly purchased a fake Epiphone guitar. Yet, this does not make any sense for a few reasons. First of all, the guitar is apparently very well made. Also, the logo does not appear to be a fake Epiphone logo, but just something a little different. In addition, the research I have done regarding fake Epiphone/Gibson guitars made in China and Korea has not revealed any information about fake acoustic guitars, just the more expensive Epiphone and Gibson electric guitars.

Anyway, that's all I can tell you about this unique Epiphone guitar (I was able to post only one photo; the others were refected with 'file too big too upload'). In summary, I have yet to find any information regarding any other Epiphone guitar with all the same type of markings (i.e. logo, manufacturer, model no., series, serial no.) as this guitar. So, I would appreciate any information anyone is able to provide.

Thank you so much,

River432

post-25357-088019800 1283526919_thumb.jpg

You appear to have unearthed another EPiphone "Orville". The C prefix has been used in the past for many classical models made by Epiphone and Gibson.

Nice score.

A clear picture of the inside-the-sound hole-label and a close-up of the headstock would be a nice addition to our collection.

Do a search for "EO-2" There are a couple dozen hits on it. There are some external links to other pics and scant info. I mad a mention that an earlier Epiphone Forum thread places these Epiphone "EO" models in the 1991 - 2000 time frame, possibly Korean made. But, the link to the Epiphone forum thread doesn't work since they instituted this current version of the forums. One site calls it a Gibson 'Remake' of an 1890's model.

The headstock shape and crescent and star logo have been borrowed from the earliest days of Gibson.

They may or may not have been plastic bowl backed. More likely they had a profound back arch which eliminated the use of back braces.

As best I can determine, the suffix numbers denote a bling level. Some had big arsed butterflies between sound hole and bridge. Do your own search of this forum and you can read up on it.

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site, and have to admit that I joined primarily to find out any information regarding a used Epiphone Classical Electric Guitar, model C70CE, that I recently purchased in a private sale. What seems to make this guitar so unique are the following: crescent moon & star logo on headstock; sticker inside guitar that indicates model no. C70CE, "Made in Korea, and "Ephiphone Orville Series"; and serial no. Y0070444. This guitar appears to be very well made with what I believe to be a solid spruce top and rosewood sides and back. I might also add that, although it is anywhere from 10-20 years old, it is really flawless in its condition.

I have been unable to find much information on the Internet regarding this guitar, and what I have found has been confusing and not without controversy. There is some belief among some that all Orville series (or Orville by Gibson) guitars were made in Japan, and none were made in Korea. There is also very little information on the crescent moon/star logo, except for a couple of Harmony reviews that mention the logo, however, these guitars appear to be a different model no. (EO-1 or EO-2). Also, a research of the serial number yielded negative results for any Epiphone guitars beginning with a 'Y'. To further complicate things, I did find some decent photos online of an Epiphone model C70CE guitar, however, the sticker indicates "Epiphone" and does not have "Orville Series" as mine does. Also, these photos do not show a good closeup of the headstock, so I'm unable to determine if the guitar has the crescent moon/star logo. Otherwise, the guitar appears to be the same as my guitar.

With all the lack of information and confusion about this guitar, I began to think that I possibly purchased a fake Epiphone guitar. Yet, this does not make any sense for a few reasons. First of all, the guitar is apparently very well made. Also, the logo does not appear to be a fake Epiphone logo, but just something a little different. In addition, the research I have done regarding fake Epiphone/Gibson guitars made in China and Korea has not revealed any information about fake acoustic guitars, just the more expensive Epiphone and Gibson electric guitars.

Anyway, that's all I can tell you about this unique Epiphone guitar (I was able to post only one photo; the others were refected with 'file too big too upload'). In summary, I have yet to find any information regarding any other Epiphone guitar with all the same type of markings (i.e. logo, manufacturer, model no., series, serial no.) as this guitar. So, I would appreciate any information anyone is able to provide.

Thank you so much,

River432

First things first - Orville was a brand name for guitars made in Japan for the Japanese market. What you have is an Epiphone Orville Series. Obviously, both the Orville brand and the Epiphone Orville Series were named after Orville Gibson.

Which brings us to Orville Gibson. In the 1890s / early 1900s, prior to the founding of Gibson, Orville's handmade instruments bore a rather unique design on their headstock like this one:

10855Gibsonguitarportrait.jpg

The Orville Series acoustics reissued the moon & star as a tribute to Orville Gibson.

Don't quote me on this because I haven't been able to verify this, but I heard that Yamaha made some acoustic for Epiphone. Perhaps that's what the Y stands for.

• 2 weeks later...

10855Gibsonguitarportrait.jpg

This one is listed at the University of South Dakota Natinoal Music Museum as a 1902 Model O3 (letter 'o', number three). The construction was very elementary. The sides were not steamed and bent, but cut out of a slab of wood to the familiar shape, as were the top and back. The top and back were carved to get the proper arch. Note the 1902 model does not have any back ribs.

Other "EO" Epiphones have an oval hole.

I really need to get to the USD some time.

Archived