Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Southern Jumbo Sound ?

suburude63

Aaah the Gibby SJ.This was/is my first Gibson,left from my father who bought it new in 1959 for $170 IIRC.The appointments really appeal to me on the SJ,as opposed to the simpler J-45.Split parrallelogram,discrete binding and the black back stripe all add individuality and yet still tasteful.When I think of these little distinctions ,along with slope and beauty sunburst,well let's just say if sound was comparable to another high quality dread such as a Martin D-18,left me wondering why anyone would choose otherwise.To me the SJ and so many of the Gibson design specific guitars represent the ambition and optimisn of the steamrolling American economy(pre and post WW2) and the excitement of a "can do anything we can think of" Gibson cultural mindset.Soundwise,it is this round,full,punchy voice complimentary tone,that represents the Gibson sound.And this design certainly compared to a D-18,yet was wholly different and individual.The recent True Vintage series,and the standard models for that matter consistently knock me out when I get the opportunity to pick one.I can honestly say IMO the SJ/45 is a suprise when you hear dud,the design just doesn't lend itself to sounding bad.Nice pick-up,enjoy,enjoy.

Archived