Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Strings for EJ160e

Dodgermod

I know a lot of people on here own this guitar and use it plugged in (as it's meant to be!) and therefore have electric strings - I see the gauge recommended is 11s - can anyone recommend what gauge acoustic strings (and their preferred brand) for playing acoustically? I use it purely as an acoustic guitar and want to get the best sound that way...

thanks

Dodger

I know a lot of people on here own this guitar and use it plugged in (as it's meant to be!) and therefore have electric strings - I see the gauge recommended is 11s - can anyone recommend what gauge acoustic strings (and their preferred brand) for playing acoustically? I use it purely as an acoustic guitar and want to get the best sound that way...

thanks

Dodger

Hi,

I have the Epiphone EJ-160E and use DR Zebra strings, 12 - 54. They are specifically made for acoustic/electric as they are wound phosphor bronze and nickel plated steel side by side. They work fine for me, however I do vary between unplugged and plugged. I have used purely acoustic strings and for me it was Dean Markley signature series Formula 82/R acoustic ML 12 - 54. Strings are a personal thing really and you'll probably get a dozen or more responses, all different and all right. It's what you like that matters, phosphor bronze are my preference. On my other acoustic I'll use Elixir nanoweb (anti-rust coating) Light 12 - 53 because I like them. A friend uses no-brand bulk buy strings and still sounds great. Hope that helps, or it may confuse. Anyway, hope you're enjoying the EJ160e as much as I do. best regards, Mike

Hi,

I have the Epiphone EJ-160E and use DR Zebra strings, 12 - 54. They are specifically made for acoustic/electric as they are wound phosphor bronze and nickel plated steel side by side. They work fine for me, however I do vary between unplugged and plugged. I have used purely acoustic strings and for me it was Dean Markley signature series Formula 82/R acoustic ML 12 - 54. Strings are a personal thing really and you'll probably get a dozen or more responses, all different and all right. It's what you like that matters, phosphor bronze are my preference. On my other acoustic I'll use Elixir nanoweb (anti-rust coating) Light 12 - 53 because I like them. A friend uses no-brand bulk buy strings and still sounds great. Hope that helps, or it may confuse. Anyway, hope you're enjoying the EJ160e as much as I do. best regards, Mike

cheers Mike - what other acoustic do you have? Have you tried the Elixirs on the EJ160e?

I suppose I'm looking for lots of replies and am interested in hearing other player's experience of this guitar!

thanks

Dodger

cheers Mike - what other acoustic do you have? Have you tried the Elixirs on the EJ160e?

I suppose I'm looking for lots of replies and am interested in hearing other player's experience of this guitar!

thanks

Dodger

Hi Dodger,

No haven't tried the Elixirs on the EJ160E, however would imagine they would sound pretty good acoustic, but not be able to use it effectively plugged into amp. My other acoustics are: Seagull CW fitted with fishman undersaddle, Kasuga 12 string (1970s japanese hummingbird copy) also fitted with fishman undersaddle and a very nice Washburn C64SCE nylon strung classical with b-band. I also have a 96 Epiphone Sheraton (samick factory built). A lot of people say any strings will do as they all come from the same few factory's, maybe so? My only problem is I still work and get too little time to play. All the best, Mike

Archived