Gibson Brands Forums

Case for ES 339 with Bigsby

woodnhands

Hi,

I put a Bigsby B5 on my Es 339 using the vibramate adapter. So far so good. It changed the tone more than I expected, but not in an unpleasing way. I get alot more sustain and a little more twang. (The top on this guitar as very resonant. When I play a chord I can feel a fairly strong vibration in the handle of the bigsby.) Even after turning the bar of the Bigsby back toward the rear of the guitar, the bigsby sits so high that closing the case depresses the bigsby, which in turn puts pressure on the top of the guitar as well as the bridge and strings. Does anyone know of a deeper case suitable for the 339?

Am I right in thinking that a vibramate B5 setup sort of goes parallel to the stop tailpiece holes - as in the Bigsby doesn't curve and fit against the top like a B7 would?

If that's the case, it might be because of the angle of the Bigsby, and a 339 with a B7 might fit in the case where a B5 wouldn't. Also, the vibramate itself raises the Bigsby a bit higher from the top.

I don't know anything regarding a case though, I'm afraid. Someone should know.

Am I right in thinking that a vibramate B5 setup sort of goes parallel to the stop tailpiece holes - as in the Bigsby doesn't curve and fit against the top like a B7 would?

If that's the case, it might be because of the angle of the Bigsby, and a 339 with a B7 might fit in the case where a B5 wouldn't. Also, the vibramate itself raises the Bigsby a bit higher from the top.

I don't know anything regarding a case though, I'm afraid. Someone should know.

The B5 fits well. The measurment for the B7 with vibramate looked a little tight at the lower bout. The B5 works fine (although the B7 looks nicer). As for Vibramate raising the height a tad, I think that is part of the problem. I haven't found a case yet. At home, I just don't buckle the two latches at the lower bout. For travel, I have a fantastic padded gig bag that seems to do the trick.

Archived