Gibson Brands Forums

98'Joe Perry Signiture info

mako shark

Hey there everyone!Can you help?Any other JP/LP fanatics out there?

I have finally sourced the best one i could find at the right price.Just a couple of cosmetic dings/marks to fix and it'll be the mutts.....

So...questions...how many made?(i know the 1st run in 96 were made in the custom shop and that the production model ran from 97 to 2000)Main differences between the two?I know c/s ones had body binding,anything else though?

As much info as you can relate will be gratefully received.

Mucho thanx in advance.

OK,i been digging around the internet and have unearthed some data regarding the differences

between the custom shop and production JP.They are both similar in that they are hand stained

in a translucent blackburst with chrome black hardware.Both sport rosewood fingerboards with

trapezoid inlays,grover tuners and the same electics-custom wound bridge p'up to Joe's spec,

and a push pull pot for the active mid boost wah wah thingy.Both have 50's rounded neck.

The differencies?Well as i already said,the custom shop has black body binding,but also has a

longer tenon set neck.Also found out that they only made 200 of the c/shop in 96,so its rare.

I dunno how many of the production JP/LP were made between 97 to 2000.

Sorry if i'm boring ya',but in case its not already out there on the forums i thought i'd put

the record straight........if anyone wants to add,correct or agree with this,please do.

• 1 month later...

Right,i found out a bit more about differences between the custom and production models.

It seems that as the 96 custom shop sold so quickly,Gibson decided to make a slightly

lesser spec one into production in 97 to 2000.I found there are a number of alterations-

1. c/s has a light weight chambered body

2. c/s has a maple neck with flame showing through finish-the pro'model has solid black finish.

c/s has a longer tenon join set into body,finger board is ebony,pro'has rosewood.c/s also

sports the Aerosmith 'wings'logo at 12th fret,pro'does not.Also c/s has pearl Gibson and

Joe perry logo's inlaid into headstock,whereas the pro has only the gold screen printed

Gibson and Les Paul model script.

3. c/s has covered p'up covers(black chrome over nickel),pro has plastic black bobbin type.

The c/s and pro have a 57 h'bucker at the neck,but pro'has a special wound to Joe's spec

at bridge compared to a standard 500t for the custom shop.

4. C/s has standard lp controls/wiring,pro model has that groovy wah,wah Chandler pre amp

push pull pot mod.

5. Last,if not least,the hard shell cases difer too.C/s has gold screen printed logos for

Joe Perry,Aerosmith and Gibson custom shop and a red interior with no shroud.The production

model has only the Gibson USA logo in silver with a black lining,but it does have a black

satin shroud with silver Joe perry signiture on it.

I still dont know how many of the production model were made,so some one please help if you

have any more info.

By the by,i mod'ed my Epiphone JP/LP Boneyard with one of those Chandler wah wah pre amps-

it's a cool toy,gives plenty of bite for solo'ing and a great tonal pallette.Much brighter

sounding than in my JP signiture,but still awesome in conjunction with the burstbuckers on the

Epi'-if anyones interested i could post a write up with a few pics some where else on here,where

is the best forum for a mod write up?

Thanx Joe.

I found another custom shop jp/lp on 'Fleabay'-

Item number: 190479578900

Is he having a laugh?Or are they really that pricey!Gotta'do some serious saving....

...or maybe a bank job to raise that kinda'cash,but i really,really want one.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there are very very different from each other. The ebony board is awesome. Its lightweight and feels and looks like a million bucks. Its that georgeous. I do have some high end model guitars like PRS Ibanez Fender etc, but this is my number one choice for its class.

I use to have the run of the mill Joe Perry model, and now I bought the JP CS model(JP198) they only made 200 in the world, and I'm so blessed acquiring a time capsuled mint condition one. Dont get me wrong the production one is cool then I found out that they made a CS JP. I quickly sold the JP production borrowed some cash, and I'm very happy that i have now one of the best LP out there. Well that is just my opinion.

OK,i been digging around the internet and have unearthed some data regarding the differences

between the custom shop and production JP.They are both similar in that they are hand stained

in a translucent blackburst with chrome black hardware.Both sport rosewood fingerboards with

trapezoid inlays,grover tuners and the same electics-custom wound bridge p'up to Joe's spec,

and a push pull pot for the active mid boost wah wah thingy.Both have 50's rounded neck.

The differencies?Well as i already said,the custom shop has black body binding,but also has a

longer tenon set neck.Also found out that they only made 200 of the c/shop in 96,so its rare.

I dunno how many of the production JP/LP were made between 97 to 2000.

Sorry if i'm boring ya',but in case its not already out there on the forums i thought i'd put

the record straight........if anyone wants to add,correct or agree with this,please do.

Heres some pics of my JP CS

post-13943-045171300 1294274365_thumb.jpg

post-13943-054345900 1294274342_thumb.jpg

post-13943-050595600 1294274524_thumb.jpg

And most of my collection:

Enjoy

post-13943-037477700 1294274559_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Archived