Gibson Brands Forums

My new 1962 ES330 TD

AwesumeGossom

Hello everyone I'm a bit new to these forums so forgive me if I put this in the wrong place wasn't supposed to ask questions here ect.

I just got my grandfather's old 1962 ES330-TD. It plays like a dream (espically in comp to my little $600 Les Paul epiphone standard plus lol) Anyways I put new strings on it shined it up and such. When I put new strings on it I didn't know if the med gage strings would be to heavy for it so i put extra light on there. I have trouble not bending the strings because of how light they are, I was wondering if anyone knew if med gage strings would harm the guitar. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi there...great guitar to inherit !!

Depends what you mean by 'light' and 'medium'...I've got 10's on my 330 and they suit it well, 9's are probably too light for this type of guitar, 11's or even higher could be applicable if so desired with adjustment to the truss rod if required

If unsure, a guitar technician could advise and do the necessary

V

:-({|=

A Gibson ES 330 is a nice guitar, I have a 67' my Father purchased for me new when I turned 16.

You need to remember, those guitars back then were not set up for light gauge strings, in fact, they probably came with medium gauge. Somebody may correct me, but the medium gauge back then, was heavier then they are now.

The nut, and bridge saddle were cut a bit wider to handle the heavier strings. I wouldn't put anything lighter on it then 10's, that is what I use on mine. I also use a "wound G string", keeps in tune better. The unwound "G" may give you tuning problems up the neck.

You will probably need a neck adjustment too once you change the gauge of the strings.

Hi there...great guitar to inherit !!

Depends what you mean by 'light' and 'medium'...I've got 10's on my 330 and they suit it well, 9's are probably too light for this type of guitar, 11's or even higher could be applicable if so desired with adjustment to the truss rod if required

If unsure, a guitar technician could advise and do the necessary

V

:-({|=

It has 9's on it currently. I really need to get a guitar technician to look ever it I know a good one and I'm sure he could help me more than anyone. I still my try some 11's (thats what i usually use)

A Gibson ES 330 is a nice guitar, I have a 67' my Father purchased for me new when I turned 16.

You need to remember, those guitars back then were not set up for light gauge strings, in fact, they probably came with medium gauge. Somebody may correct me, but the medium gauge back then, was heavier then they are now.

The nut, and bridge saddle were cut a bit wider to handle the heavier strings. I wouldn't put anything lighter on it then 10's, that is what I use on mine. I also use a "wound G string", keeps in tune better. The unwound "G" may give you tuning problems up the neck.

You will probably need a neck adjustment too once you change the gauge of the strings.

When i got it ( it had been sitting in a closet for like 17 or 18 years) It had no strings on it but inside the case there was a pack of extra light strings (9's) and so when I went to replace the strings thats what i bought

That's a great point about the guitar originally coming with 10's or heavier strings. 9's hadn't been invented yet (except by guys who used a banjo string for the high E, which gave way to Ernie Ball Slinkys, etc etc). A shot my '66 ES-330 is attached.

When I started playing again after taking the 80's and 90's off, I always used 10's, but a luthier convinced me to go to 11's on my 330. He was right - they sound much bigger. And with the trapeze tailpiece, 11's actually feel just like 10's.

Try a set of 11's and see how they work for you.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks. I know I'm coming late to the conversation. But I second what dougg330 says. I let my ES 330 sit unplayed for a number of years. When I took it out again, I had to take it to a technician for a set up and minor repair (that's another story). He put 10's on it. I had trouble staying in tune, so I switched to 11's and LOVE them!! I never want to go back to wimpy thin strings again!! So try the 11's -- I use D'Addario since they are widely available -- you can get them in wound or unwound g-string. Haven't tried the wound g-string, but might soon.

Archived