Gibson Brands Forums

Model differences

pmgnut

Hi all, I am selling my current jazzbox single floater and will then be looking at some Gibson's.Problem is my head is spinning from trying to figure out what's what in the model line up. The ES-175 is my favorite, but too pricey, so that's out. I have seen some ES-135, ES-137 and ES-125 for sale in my range but have no idea how these models differ. Can anyone help?

If you are buying a new model, then the 135 and 125 are out. The ES-137 Classic and Custom are both outstanding, super versatile guitars. The Custom would be a bit more on the jazz spectrum while the Classic would be more on the rock spectrum (due to pickup differences alone), but both will do either. If you are actually considering used, then the ES-125 with P-90s is a super guitar and used most by the Americana/Roots folks.

Thanks for the help. I do like that muddy, underwater sound but at the same time also like that warm "ring" sound added to the mix. I'm a huge Metheny fan so that is the basic sound I'm after. You mentioned the ES 125 - how does that differ from the 135 and 137? Do they still make the ES 125? I love the vintage guitars but in this case probably lean toward staying away from something 30+ years old

Archived