Gibson Brands Forums

State Tests for schools

dem00n

dem00n I went to a Prep school in NYC. They did not give the Regents tests. Until Open Admissions, in NYC, came in your Regents grades wereoka your "ticket" into the schools. Your Regents grades were also "placed" you in the NY state colleges. You did well you went to Stoney Brook, New Paltz, Buffalo. You didn't you went to Nassau Community, Suffolk Community. If you lived in NYC and did well you got CCNY, Queens, Brooklym (Girls got Hunter), you didn't you got Queensboro Community.

There was also some Scholarship money inolved.

From what I've seen with my youngest son (he's your age and a solid student) is that for the last bunch of years schools teach "to" the tests not how to get knowledge. You need more than answers to get though, say an advanced math, you need to know the math.

Milo, the school I went to gave college work for juniors and seniors (they courses had an SSC suffix) for Chem, Bio, Physics some Math classes. The courses were recognized by quite a few schools and if you did B or better they were college credits. I got away with not having to take Bio, Chem and Physics (the 101s anyway-- 12 credits) in college.

Steve...

I think the ap classes here are the same way with some schools. A good deal for the kids, anyway. My only AP classes were history and lit, and "way back then," were only to keep some nutty kids' interest.

m

Milo, I'll ask my son about the APs and college I don't remember anything said about college credits.

For the SSC courses that I took (mid to late '60s).. When I got to college and saw the Texts a couple of buddies were supposed to buy, I told them they could have mine. They Chem book (and my lab book and labs) went to Northeastern, the Bio books/labs went on to Queens college, Physics went to Stoney Brook, but flunked out.

Steve....

<grin>

Actually too, I used my mother's texts from a course she took in one of her bachelors' for a junior year in high school class; then used some of her grad level stuff for my senior year in high school. Since I also got to sit through some of her college history and lit classes that weren't as tough as my last two or three years in high school, I can tell you I was bored in college and made a really stupid choice to leave.

m

Milo.. I "bailed" out also. 3 years of credits and decided to chamge to computer sciences.

The school I was at didn't have much in that major. I tried to transfer but in that era (late 60s early 70s)

you either took business (accounting using computers) or you went off to one of the "institutes of technlogy".

I quit and got an entry level job with computers, and have been working in that field since then.

P.S. I forgot to ask my youngest son about the AP classes. I'm in Texas starting a new job Monday.. Family is staying in New Jersey until.. at least 'till the yungest guy graduates high school in June..

Good luck in Texas...

My lil' sis (a grandma now) is in Corpus; her kids mostly in that general area. They mostly like it, as far as I can tell. She used to live in New Jersey, too... A long time ago. <grin>

Me, I might end up with kids some day when I grow up. I figure that's not likely 'cuz I've noticed from news coverage of local sports games that the grandmas look pretty good and the moms look like kids and... Hmmmm.

<chuckle>

m

Archived