Gibson Brands Forums

Lp custom buzz question

Awcsnost

Hi, I own a 2009 alpine white Les Paul custom. I've noticed recently, not sure if its always been there, that on high gain, I get a buzz and slightly reduced sustain when i hammer on a single fret higher on the high e string. To me it sounds like the previous note is sounding and there's a lot of dissonance, and the sustain loss isn't huge. It usually takes place on the 3-10th frets. It doesn't happen on all frets at once and changes based on how tight the string is. My question is, is it normal for this to happen and I just didn't notice it before, or is there something wrong I'm doing with my setup that's causing this problem? any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think I know what this might be. The Les Paul Customs use lower, flatter frets than other Les Paul guitars. Supposedly, some jazz players prefer this because they can move around the fretboard faster.

But, for the rest of us, the frets are too flat for the high e string. The string actually buzzes on a single fret from about the 1st to 10th frets. What I mean by buzzes on a single fret is that the string makes contact on the side of the fret closest to the headstock and buzzes off the rest of the same fret. So, adjusting the truss rod and fret dressing makes virtually no difference.

I recently had my 1990 LP Custom re-fretted with medium jumbo fret wire to get rid of the annoying high e fret buzz caused by the low flat frets.

I love that guitar so much more now.

I hope this helps.

Mike

• 6 months later...

Archived