Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson 355 with Buzz Feiten

AL 268

I took the plunge and had Big Al fitted with a BF nut. The BF system works great, but I wanted the new nut to be shaped exactly as the original Gibson nut, curved. The new one was not curved at all however I realized this turns out to be a benefit. The new nut is flat and angled back slightly. The strings are now in contact with the entire surface of the nut. This results in absolutely no (well much much less) string binding at the nut. The guitar now stays in tune and tunes easily. No pings. Just thought it might be a useful experience for other AL owners. If you are going to have this done however, go to a really good guy who knows Gibsons! The job also requires finishing ability.

Hi! I also have an AL. (AL 141). Can you post some pics of the new nut? What's a Buzz Feiten nut? I also change my nut to a bone nut. But sometimes the strings (D and G) binding at the nut when I use the tremolo and when I tune the guitar.

I took the plunge and had Big Al fitted with a BF nut. The BF system works great, but I wanted the new nut to be shaped exactly as the original Gibson nut, curved. The new one was not curved at all however I realized this turns out to be a benefit. The new nut is flat and angled back slightly. The strings are now in contact with the entire surface of the nut. This results in absolutely no (well much much less) string binding at the nut. The guitar now stays in tune and tunes easily. No pings. Just thought it might be a useful experience for other AL owners. If you are going to have this done however, go to a really good guy who knows Gibsons! The job also requires finishing ability.

Archived