Gibson Brands Forums

Specs for 1979 Classical Model 6514?

Firefly

I've been chasing down all the usual suspects -- Elderly, harmony, AGF, here -- and finding nothing about this model, except for a mention on the Blue Book site, and that won't really be of use to me, because I'm not interested in the guitar's monetary value.

Can anyone shed light on the quality of this model, whether or not the spruce top is solid, and where it fell in the lineup? Were Epi acoustics of the day as well-made as other Japanese imports? Even a link to an old catalog would be great.

Much obliged.

This is a new one. :blink:

The following thread contains some brief specs, or identifying features of early, off shore built Epiphones with 6XXX model numbers. This list does not include a 65XX model number. That's not to say yours doesn't exist, it just isn't in this list. Classics are, as I'm sure you're aware, not a common as folk guitars.

>> Model Number Cross Reference Thread <<

The following link is of a Epiphone History post I resurrected. It might be of interest to you. Pay particular attention to 1971.

>> Brief Epiphone History <<

The 6XXX nomenclature was borrowed from that used on Aria models, both being made by Matsumoku of Japan. In late 1971, Epiphone began using it's "FT" model number nomenclature. The first link above shows the cross reference.

Although it hasn't been recorded or discussed here, until now, Matusmoku must have been making a Classical guitar for Epiphone. When Epiphone instituted it's own model nomenclature, the "FT" was not used for classical guitars, but rather "EC".

This 1974 catalog shows the EC models made at that time. Given the fact that the 1974 "FT" models closely match, in appearance, the 1971 6XXX models, I suspect your 6514 may be either the early equivalent of one of the EC models. Pay particular attention to the descriptions. Using tuner plate color, back inlay, sound board specie, you should be able to narrow it down to it's EC equivalent.

>>1974 Catalog <<

Pictures would be a blessing here for our own interest as well as posterity. A snap shot of the blue label would be appreciated.

In particular, front, sides, back and close ups of the head stock, front back and side. Also a label shot if possible.

And while we're on the subject. Some of this vintage of "FT" Epiphones had bolt-on necks. The cheaper ones had four screws through the back of the guitar into the neck with no neck heel. The more expensive models had a type of bolt that protruded from the end of the neck, then was inserted into a hole in the top of the guitar body with a nut on the inside. These had heels mimicking a dovetail joint. I'd like to know which kind of neck yours has.

The former had the four screw heads covered by a 'serial number' plate on the back. The latter would have a bolt visible through the sound hole.

I don't think any of this vintage of Epiphones had dove tail joints.

And, btw. the serial numbers on these matsumoku built guitars were anything but serial.

Thank you Tommy, for this information. It's not a guitar I own, but one I am considering. I did talk to the seller and confirm that the model is 6514, and that the tag is blue -- if the guy seeing it ahead of me does not purchase, I will snap the label for you. Here are the images provided:

Picture5.png

Just a quick note off the top of my head from having lived through that era...

I think there were a lot of classical guitars wearing lots of nameplates that came out of the same factories somewhere....

It was a burst of activity... some were pretty good, some weren't.

Some also were made in Sweden and Italy, btw, as well as in Japan. Korea wasn't up to that level of quality yet, and IMHO, in the 1970s Japan was just beginning to get there and finally was producing some excellent instruments.

m

Oh, and if you haven't gleaned it from the links, this is not a 1979 model. 1971, guaranteed. It may have been purchased as NOS in '79, but the 6XXX model nomenclature was only used in 1971... possibly, early 1972.

If you buy it I'd like to see a good close up of the label.

• 3 months later...

Archived