Gibson Brands Forums

grandpas old gibson

dougw20

Hello to everyone, back in the late 1940s my grandpa bought this gibson guitar. when he died it was passed down to my father. when my dad died about 10 years ago my mother gave it to me. it has been in a case in the closet since then. I did take the strings off to take tension off the neck, (recommended by friend). I think I found what appears to be a serial #4351 inside the soundhole. I think I remember my father saying it was a 3/4 size guitar. a lot of my relatives used to come over to our house and play music when I was a kid, and I remember grandpa playing it then. he didnt use picks, just his fingers and he could really make that old gibson sound good. I have looked it over pretty good and found no cracks in the body or neck, but it appears to have some cracking in the varnish finish. also there is a little chip in the wood by the gibson logo. it is still in the case it originally came in when new, although it looks cheap. I have no one to pass this down to, and am interested in selling, I dont know where to start, can some one give me a ballpark figure of what it may be worth. attached is a pic, I have more pics but it wont let upload anymore than the one.

post-31288-074625600 1299182788_thumb.jpg

Beautiful guitar. It could be one of two models: the LG-1 or the LG-2. An lg1 would have ladder bracing and an lg-2 would have x bracing. Besides that they are basically the same. The lg-2 would be worth more to most people because most prefer the sound of an x braced guitar over a ladder braced guitar.

guitartop.jpg

Yes, an LG-2. The number you gave is a Factory Order Number (not the same as a serial number), commonly referred to as a FON. This number puts it at about 1950. A slightly earlier one just sold on ebay for a little less than $2000. I would think a range of $1900 to $2200 or so would be about right in the current economy. If you decide to sell it, I suggest you list it here first before going to ebay. Regards,

Dennis

thank you very much dennis, that gives me an idea of the guitars value. I have taken some much better detailed pics of the guitar, and am trying my best to upload them to this thread, but it keeps telling me 500k max file size, and each pic I have is over that size. anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong. many threads on here has multi pics uploaded, I just cant figure it out. thanks again, dennis.............doug.

Doug, you may already know this, bit in case not, you need to upload your pictures to some photo hosting site, such as photobucket.com. Once you've done that, on photobucket click on the img link on the drop down menu under the photo you want to copy here. On this site, open a Add Reply to this thread, click on the icon at the top of the reply box that says "Insert Image" and add the photo by clicking in the dialogue box after http://. That will copy the photo. You won't be able to see it until you click "Add Reply" (or Preview Post). You can add as many photos as you want this way, but one at a time. Hope that helps.

Dennis

Very nice looking guitar Doug, and appears to be in excellent condition. Your granddad really took good care of it. Just an FYI, the LG guitars, while being basically student models, were very well made and are excellent sounding/playing gits. They tend to be underpriced in the vintage market imo, but I think that's slowly changing.

Are you going to sell it?

Dennis

dennis, thanks for your interest in the guitar. yes I plan to sell it, because I have no one to pass it down to in my family, and I want to see the guitar go to someone who will take care of it. I am having a hard time parting with it because my grandfather orginally bought it and then passed it down to my father, and then me. I just wished I was as talented as they were in playing it. anyone interested in inquiring about it e-mail me at rangerboat04@hotmail.com and I will tell you everything that I know about the guitar and take more detailed pics if you desire. there is some things about the guitar that I want to tell anyone interested, because who ever buys it I want them to be completely happy with the deal. I dont want to rip anyone off, but want a fair price for it also. I want to thank mr. jf shults for all the help he has given me on this...........doug.

Doug, sorry to hear your selling, but I completely understand. I'm basically in the same boat with no family members to pass on my guitars.

Just wanted to mention that I saw a listing today for a 1951 LG-2, in somewhat worse condition, at least cosmetically, than yours, for just under $3400 here: http://www.om28.com/stock.htm#Anchor-33869 This dealer knows the market really well. Still, I think what he's asking is a bit high. In any case, another point of reference, but keep in mind that dealers prices tend to be a bit higher than private sales. Good luck with the sale,

Dennis

Archived