Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker (double coil pickup?)

carryherohio

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I recently purchased one of the new MMs from Amazon and upon receiving it found things a little bit different than expected, most notably a double coil pickup in place of the standard single coil, and also that the finish ("worn" white) is smooth and not worn looking at all. While I'm not really complaining about the pickup, I'm kind of missing the look of the worn finish (even though a lot of people say it's crap, aesthetically I really like it). I can't decide if I like this smooth finish better and I'm debating on sending it back for a replacement... I wish I had one with the worn finish and this smoother finish to compare side by side. What do you guys think? I don't know why this guitar is different from the stock MMs in the first place since it's supposed to be new. [confused]

Photo of the guitar. Excuse the quality, crappy webcam is crappy.

http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o372/lelotusluna/?action=view&current=Photo39.jpg

Hopefully you can see that the finish is perfectly smooth without the grainy quality of the "worn" finish.

Edit: Okay, so, somehow I didn't notice before that not only is the pickup and the finish different, but this guitar is lacking a tone knob (volume only), and lacking the Melody Maker logo as well. So is this guitar modded or are they making them like this now? Again, this is supposed to be a brand new guitar and says on the packing slip that it came from Gibson Musical Instruments in Nashville.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived