Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Custom Noise

pinkanderson

I just purchased an Epiphone Blues Custom on the internet. It was a showroom model, so it was never gigged. Everything looks like it's in good shape, but this noise that is coming from the amp. When I play in ClassA, channel 1, as soon as I hit about 10 o'clock or around 3 or 4, this "hissy" noise comes through. If I let a deeper note ring out, the noise becomes noticeable. It almost sounds like spring being hit, which scared me, 'cause I don't want it to be a blown speaker or anything that grave. The noise doesn't get any louder when I turn it up, it just comes through a lot more. If I have it in Channel 2, it really comes through all the time, and in the ClassAB, it rings out constantly as I am playing. I noticed that you have to pay close attention to pick up on the noise, so it doesn't disturb any of the actual sound. I have to mention that this is my first tube amp, so I'm really unexperienced when it comes to this subject. I researched online for a bit, but I didn't find much on a similar issue. Could be that it's normal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Archived