Gibson Brands Forums

How do i change my Es-335 Sound to my friends es-335?

PuerAeternus

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/270/es-335%20comparison.mp3

notice how his cherry Es-335 sounds way glassier than mine (its really noticeable on the clean channe)

his cherry es-335 is first

my sunburst starts at about 0:39

now i've played them both unplugged and i think his Es-335 just sounds somewhat naturally brighter (but is the difference is more pronounced when played through an amp).... i dont know if he has 500 k pots in his ( he told me he never changed anything but he says he bought it used)

his is a 2008 model, mine is 2010, both are the $2800 model

so do you think its due to pots or his guitar just being naturally more resonant?

Your guitar will never sound like the other one. They are 2 different guitars. Even finding 2 guitars that sound alike or very close is an impossible task. With 335's, I have noticed they have more varience in tone from one guitar to the next than with other types.

Having said that, it is a mistake to judge a guitar based on comparing it to another. The best way to judge a guitar is on its own. If any mods or changes are done to alter the sound, it should be done based on the sound of the guitar you are dealing with, and not based on what another guitar sounds like.

How a guitar sounds accoustically has a direct impact on how it sounds plugged in. If it sounds too bright or too dull before you plug in it is harder to deal with changing that with electronics.

When I have guitars that sound too dull, I put brighter strings on them, like GHS boomers. If the sound too bright or sterle, I put warmer strings on it, like fender 150's or slinkys, or, D'ADDARIO.

When I adjust the pup height, I don't have a set distance, I listen to the guitar and let it speak. too close and the sound gets congested, and too far away and the sound gets dry and lifeless. I personally don't worry too much if the neck and bridge have different volumes, but mainly I don't worry if the treble side is different that the bass side, or if the pup looks sunk in or slanted. I go by sound.

And also, when I switch guitars, I expect to have to adjust the tone controls on the amp. That is why they are there. Or else all fenders would be too bright or all gibby's would be too muddy. Is it not the same between two different guitars?

I noticed this from a previous thread. It sounds like you are just liking your friends guitar and thus have thought your own to be not as good because it doesn't sound like his. I bet if you spent a little effort and time with it getting to know it and adjust it, after you might be wondering why his doesn't sound like yours.

Archived