Gibson Brands Forums

problems on the fret

123justme

changed strings on a fender gemini 11 for a friend they werent changed in ten years are so and it got a rite bit of playin! anyways from the 10th fret to 14th its the same high pitch and its back to normal on the 15th fret this is on the 1st string most notably slightly on the second help please

changed strings on a fender gemini 11 for a friend they werent changed in ten years are so and it got a rite bit of playin! anyways from the 10th fret to 14th its the same high pitch and its back to normal on the 15th fret this is on the 1st string most notably slightly on the second help please

This sounds like it more than just a high fret. It might be that the guitar's neck has developed a hump right where the neck joins the body of the guitar. You can check for this by sighting down the side of neck from the head stock towards the body. As your looking down the edge of the fret you should be able to see if there is a hump. You can also place a capo on the seventh fret and hold down at the string at last fret closes to the sound hole and see if the string is touching any of frets. Really I would recommend taking it to a guitar tech to check out. The guitar probably needs it truss rod adjusted first. Additionally did you replace the strings with the same gauge strings. If you went from an extra light to a medium you would definitely need to have the truss rod adjust. Good luck I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Frets have been known to pup up too.

Lay a straight edge across several frets, they should be, essentially on the same plain. I'm guessing your 14th fret is high. The straight edge should rock like a teeter totter over this one.

Tapping it back down may work, or some glue may be in order. Clamp it down until the glue dries.

Archived