Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with decision

adius

Acquired a '66 Heritage that is in very nice condition and plays exceptionally well. Love the Brazilian and think it is solid but not sure. The grain inside matches that on the outside. That's not my question though. Comparing it to other acoustics, it doesn't seem to have the voice I would expect. I'm wondering if changing the bridge makes a significant difference? Seems to me that it should. I read about doing it in a way that is reversible. My search revealed conflicting answers. Has anyone done this with a Heritage, a '66 J 45 or J50? If so, did it improve the volume, response or quality of the sound?

Forgive me if this has question has been beat to pieces in the past. Still finding my way here.

If your guitar doesn't sound "right" is not necessary the fault of the bridge, there are many other factors that may play a role, however regarding the adjustable AFAIK there are three choices:

1)Replace the plastic saddle with a TUSQ: some members of this board did that because they didn't want to compromise the originality of the instrument and they said the Tusq saddle helped a lot:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/10995-tusq-saddles/page__st__60

2) Find a rosewood insert with a bone saddle or a oversized bone saddle that fills all the slot, also possible, more difficult because you will need a luthier.

3) Replace the entire bridge with a conventional unit: a lot of luthier suggest this solution but it's not cheap and compromise the originality of the guitar.

For all the three options I've heard positive comments, the players that upgraded their instrument claim to have more volume, clarity etc...of course it's difficult to say how much psychology is involved in that, on youtube there's a guy with a country & western who plays the guitar before and after switching the saddle to tusq (#1), there a lot of comments of users, some of them hear the difference, some of them don't! :o

If your guitar doesn't sound "right" is not necessary the fault of the bridge, there are many other factors that may play a role, however regarding the adjustable AFAIK there are three choices:

1)Replace the plastic saddle with a TUSQ: some members of this board did that because they didn't want to compromise the originality of the instrument and they said the Tusq saddle helped a lot:

http://forum.gibson....es/page__st__60

2) Find a rosewood insert with a bone saddle or a oversized bone saddle that fills all the slot, also possible, more difficult because you will need a luthier.

3) Replace the entire bridge with a conventional unit: a lot of luthier suggest this solution but it's not cheap and compromise the originality of the guitar.

For all the three options I've heard positive comments, the players that upgraded their instrument claim to have more volume, clarity etc...of course it's difficult to say how much psychology is involved in that, on youtube there's a guy with a country & western who plays the guitar before and after switching the saddle to tusq (#1), there a lot of comments of users, some of them hear the difference, some of them don't! :o

Many thanks Alex for the response and the link. I'll take it to a luthier I know and ask for his opinion on those options. I've known him for 20+ years and he's a good friend. I can trust his judgment. That perception issue is really the crux of the matter. The Heritage just doesn't isn't as loud as my other dreadnaught but I understand there are many variables involved. I hate messing up an original instrument.

Archived