Gibson Brands Forums

Factory Specs

mackysback2

Here are the factory specs as I remember them:

Action:

1st String at 12th fret: 3/64

6th String at 12th fret: 5/64

Pick-Up Height, measured by holding down the string at the "last fret" and measuring the distance from the bottom of the string to the pole piece

Bridge Pick-up, distance should by 1/16" from the 1st and 6th String

Neck Pick-up, distance should be 3/32" from the 1st and 6th String.

Neck Adjustment, the neck should have a gap the width of a business card at the 6 and 7th fret when you hold the 6th string at the first fret and the fret where it joins the body. Best to use a capo on the the first fret to hold the string down. Just sighting down the neck doesn't get it.

There is also a mesurement from the neck to the bottom of the string at the nut, but I don't have that off hand.

The bottom line is, take the measurements, see if it is really far off! If you like the way it plays, just leave it alone. You would be surprised of how many guitarists get "compulsive obsessive" over the way the guitar plays, or the way they think it should be, and are constantly adjusting things.

If it plays nice, and your happy, just let it go. You can always take to a reputable set-up guy and get his opinion.

Hope this helps!

Anybody want to add anything that I didn't get correct, please do so, it would help me too!

Archived