Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Epiphone flame maple tops...

atreyu2112

Hi... new to these forums.

Just picked up 2 Epi LPs... a Traditional Pro and a Standard Plus Top. Great guitars! Put a Gotoh bridge & Grover locking roto tuners on both, and some Qparts pearloid knobs. Very good stuff.

Anyway, I have a question about my Standard Plus Top - is it a true flame top or is it a "photo flamed" top? Looks damn convincing to me, but I heard some people say they are not real. It's beautifully book matched, the flame moves in the light, you can see the grain in the wood... so what gives? Help! Thanks.

Just picked up 2 Epi LPs... a Traditional Pro and a Standard Plus Top. Great guitars! Put a Gotoh bridge & Grover locking roto tuners on both, and some Qparts pearloid knobs. Very good stuff.

Anyway, I have a question about my Standard Plus Top - is it a true flame top or is it a "photo flamed" top? Looks damn convincing to me, but I heard some people say they are not real. It's beautifully book matched, the flame moves in the light, you can see the grain in the wood... so what gives? Help! Thanks.

Epiphone uses a plain maple cap with a flamed (or otherwise) veneer. No photoflame garbage here. [thumbup]

But you don't buy a $500 Epi expecting it have a $200 full-on flame maple top. [biggrin]

Welcome to the camp. Flame maple top.

Cool, thanks, much appreciate the quick responses.

I have 2 USA PRS CE-22's with flamed maple tops & a Carvin custom DC127M with a quilted top. My Carvin has hands down the best top (AAAA), my 2008 CE in Vintage Natural has a real nicely booked 10 top, my 2002 CE has a nice book match but the top is definitely a loose/curly top.

My new Epiphone SPT has as a REALLY nice flame top that is book matched almost as good as the Carvin and the flame is really sweet. I was gonna be super saddened if it was indeed a photoflame... but I am VERY happy to hear it's not, even if it is a super thin veneer - it looks awesome!

I was really surprised that these Epiphone LPs play just as sweet as almost ALL the real Gibson's I have played. Especially the feel of the Traditional Pro...

I'll post picks for you guys to see, but I want to take them in sunlight so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow.

Archived