Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Noise

ne14t?

So most people that know me know I am a pretty dang huge fan of Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings, over the weekend I got bored and realized I was playing most stuff in E standard the last little bit. So I went out and purchased a pack of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings to test out see how I liked the thinner gauge for the standard tunings. Not only did I not like the strings, I think I am just too accustomed to the Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms (which is ok I keep 4 packs on hand at all times). When I was changing the strings I let off too much tension and now I need to setup my action as if I dig in and attack my low E string hard enough I get some buzz. But the weirdest thing of all is when I strum just my low E with the Super Slinkys on there I get some mean rattling type noise out of my amp. I am not sure if its the messed up action, but it happens regardless of fret buzz, and it didnt happen with the Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. The bass was always REALLY punchy in this amp but this sounds more like something is vibrating, anyone else out there run into this? I figured it was the action issue from when I swapped over the strings, but I am kinda unsure, I am planning on changing the strings back to my preferred choice and I am going to setup the action and intonation and see if it changes.

Mother Fudger, I dont wanna take it back though its too awesome. I guess I will have to talk to the boys down at L&M and see what they can do for me, maybe the Tiny Terror combo is in my future, of course its my luck. Thanks for the heads up Guitarest.

I did tons of digging on the Marshall forum and it sounds like its probably an issue with the V1 preamp tube. Apparently it was an extremely common issue with the 40W combo but not so much with the 15W head that I have.

Archived