Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between ES335 Birdseye and ES335 Exotic Birdseye?

Jared Purdy

Well, the topic title pretty well says it all. I saw a ES335 Birdseye ($3775) at a local store to day, and then popped into another store to see what their price was, and that was when I learned about the ES335 Exotic Birdseye, with a price over $4000. It's impossible to tell them apart from looking at images on the web, and there is no information on the Gibson site. Anyone have any input? BTW, it's an unbelievablely gorgous looking guitar.

Wow! Thanks for all of the views, and the replies, I am just blown away at the response. Shocking.

In the event that any of you die-hard hollow body players are the least bit interested in the differences, after waiting to see if a response would come from here, and it didn't, I just called Gibson and asked them. They got back to me today, which is Sunday, and that is clearly better than the response time in social media forums.

Bob Burns from Gibson had this to say about the differences between the ES335 Birdseye, and the ES 335 Birdseye Exotic:

Hello Jared,

The Exotics had highly figured birdseye maple and used Burstbucker Pro pickups instead of '57 Classic humbuckers. There were only 50 Exotics built. Thanks.

Best regards,

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

www.gibson.com

Hey man!,

Well thats very interesting indeed.

Personally, i've never actually seen any birdseye (or exotic birdseye), but then again i live on the other end of the planet (Australia).

I'd reckon they'd look very nice though. I looooove birdseye maple on a guitar . . . . often better than flame . . . ooooooh, thats bound to ruffle some feathers on this forum [rolleyes]

What color was the finish?

Love to see a picture.

Cheers!

Personal view here....

I know birdseye is an exotic finish from rare wood and commands a high price

Some people find it drool-worthy

I find it somewhat 'over the top' and distracting

Preferring plain and occasional flame tops etc......

V

:-({|=

Personal view here....

I know birdseye is an exotic finish from rare wood and commands a high price

Some people find it drool-worthy

I find it somewhat 'over the top' and distracting

Preferring plain and occasional flame tops etc......

V

I have not seen the "exotic" birdseye, but there is a "regular" birdseye at a shop close to where I live. It is very striking, and it is completely covered in birdseye, front, back and sides. You couldn't put a pea between the birdseyes there are so many, and it is finished in a high gloss coat. When I first looked at it, and then started to play it, and then put it back down, I was not sure if I liked it as it is very "busy" looking. I wouldn't describe it as "soothing", and easy to look at the way a regular plain maple top or flame maple top is. I am in the market for a ES335, and the finish is what I am considerng, and the more I think about it, I am less inclined to want the birdseye, which also comes in at $3750, a fairly heft jump over a light burst or a sun burst finish. And then there's the thought that you will constantly be starred at by all of those eyes!

Hey man!,

Well thats very interesting indeed.

Personally, i've never actually seen any birdseye (or exotic birdseye), but then again i live on the other end of the planet (Australia).

I'd reckon they'd look very nice though. I looooove birdseye maple on a guitar . . . . often better than flame . . . ooooooh, thats bound to ruffle some feathers on this forum [rolleyes]

What color was the finish?

Love to see a picture.

Cheers!

It's clear, high gloss coated. I googled Gibson ES335 birdseye maple and several sites came up.

I have not seen the "exotic" birdseye, but there is a "regular" birdseye at a shop close to where I live. It is very striking, and it is completely covered in birdseye, front, back and sides. You couldn't put a pea between the birdseyes there are so many, and it is finished in a high gloss coat. When I first looked at it, and then started to play it, and then put it back down, I was not sure if I liked it as it is very "busy" looking. I wouldn't describe it as "soothing", and easy to look at the way a regular plain maple top or flame maple top is. I am in the market for a ES335, and the finish is what I am considerng, and the more I think about it, I am less inclined to want the birdseye, which also comes in at $3750, a fairly heft jump over a light burst or a sun burst finish. And then there's the thought that you will constantly be starred at by all of those eyes!

I think we are in agreement here

I have a flame top triburst 335 Dot which is to my taste just decorative enough

And a plain top tobacco sunburst 330 with a simpler appeal

Both are at the lower end price-wise and offer excellent value for money....

V

Archived