Gibson Brands Forums

347 coil tap switch(es)?!

judynsteve

I could use the sum of your collective brilliance on this one. I own - excuse me...LOVE - a '91 347 and have been wondering about the multiple coil taps and how they effect the tone. I've never seen another 347 with 2 taps. The blade switch next to the PUP selector seems to split the coils but the lead PUP volume pot lifts giving me additional tones with the PUP selector in the lead or middle positions. I have 10 tonal variations because the lift pot works in either blade switch position.

Question 1 - was this stock or a mod.

Question 2 - since the blade switch splits the coils what does the lift pot do? Switch the PUPs from series to parallel?

Thank you for your thoughts.

I could use the sum of your collective brilliance on this one. I own - excuse me...LOVE - a '91 347 and have been wondering about the multiple coil taps and how they effect the tone. I've never seen another 347 with 2 taps. The blade switch next to the PUP selector seems to split the coils but the lead PUP volume pot lifts giving me additional tones with the PUP selector in the lead or middle positions. I have 10 tonal variations because the lift pot works in either blade switch position.

Question 1 - was this stock or a mod.

Question 2 - since the blade switch splits the coils what does the lift pot do? Switch the PUPs from series to parallel?

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm not sure if that would be a stock pot, but the volume push/pull pot would most likely be a series/parallel switch. Which would reverse the current of one coil on each PUP. Allowing (w/o the coil tap) to make your humbuckers basically a huge single coil or p90/soap bar PUP.

Hopefully that helped

~Aaron

Archived