Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson es-335 63' reissue block inlay

Seu João

Hello my friends,

I'm a blues guitar player from Portugal that simply loves the Gibson es-335 and is currently thinking of buying one. A few days ago i received a mail from a guy here in Portugal that had a 2009 Gibson es-335 63' reissue block inlay for sale for a good price and was i tempted. The guitar looked amazing, well done, the sound was incredible and i love the thin neck on these ones. Played through a fender blues junior tweed that is a great small amp! Nothing wrong with that one, except for one little thing, i looked inside the top f-hole and the guitar had a kalamazoo, michigan, USA label and didn't had a serial number on the headstock. I know that these ones are custom made in nashville these days, so is it possible? i thought these guitars came with nashville custom shop label, matter of fact i've never seen one, so i really don't know how it looks like. For now this is my question.

Greetings from Portugal,

João

Hey from Australia Joao!

I believe that Gibson have made two differant types of historic reissue ES 335's at their Nashville custom shop in recent times (the past few years). They made the 59' and the 63' block inlay, each bearing the unique characteristics of the year of reissue. The only differances between the two are that the 63 block has a slimmer 60's neck profile, short pick guard, block inlays on the fret board and reflector tone / volume knobs.

Nashville made reissue 335's wont have the serial number stamped on the headstock and wont have the circular Memphis 'custom shop' logo printed on the back of the head stock either. The serial number on a genuine Nashville made ES 335 63' block will only be on the orange tag inside the guitar. Further, the serial number will commence with 'A-3_ _ _ _'.

I have a 2011 59' reissue ES 335 made in Nashville and the orange label inside the guitar says - "Nashville Tenessee".

. . . . I'd tread with caution in considering buying the guitar claiming to be a ES 335 63' block with Kalamazoo Michigan shown on the orange label my friend. Be very careful . . . . :unsure:

Richard

Hello Richard,

That was all i needed to know, it's simply impossible and that may be a very well made gibson copy with all original pieces, pickups, pickguard, tuners, bridge, knobs, and the binding on the neck covered the fret edges like the real one. The guitar had an awesome sound and finish, really strange. On the other way he was the second owner of the guitar, it's slightly possible that the first owner lost the original label and replaced it for this one but this seems to be a too much farfetched. I won't be buying that one, and will search a little more for other that pleases me and is the real deal!

Regards,

João Mota

Yeah mate, it may be a well made copy. If thats the case, it should be represented and priced accordingly otherwise it's just plain fraudulent.

I don't think it's plausible to lose the sticker out of the inside of the guitar. Even if you did, you wouldn't replace it with anything other than a Nashville sticker or you'd de-value the guitar because you pay a premium for the Nashville made versions

I could be wrong on the Kalamazoo origin. Maybe they did make a limited batch in Kalamazoo some time ago, but i don't think so. Especially considering that the seller is claiming the guitar is a 2009 model. Highly doubt it. Contact Gibson customer service and they'll tell you definatively.

It's interesting that it played and sounded really good. I'd advise you find another example of the 335 63 block to play that you can confirm is the real article; i'll bet you'll notice a considerable differance.

Lets know how you go Joano

Cheers!

Richard

Archived