Gibson Brands Forums

1988 LP Gold Top Prehistoric 1956 Limited signed by Les Paul on pickguard

chefdude

I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 Gold Top Prehistoric 1956, the owner says that this is limited to only 40 and was signed by Les Paul at the factory, the owner told me that all the guts are are real 1950's era parts, the wire, the pots the tagboard bumble bee caps and plug are from the 1950's

This guitar was made Dec of 88 and also has rare "prototype P90 pups" has the original Lifting brown and pink Gibson case.

Does anyone know anything about this guitar or these "40" guitars that gibson put out. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have been burned onece on a fake LP.

"By 1983, Gibson finally released a "Les Paul Reissue" model. For whatever reason, they were careful not to call it a 1959 reissue. The Reissue was an immediate hit with Les Paul lovers, since it had features that were closer to a 1959 Les Paul, such as the thin binding in the cutaway, nickel hardware, ABR-1 bridge, vintage-style knobs, and highly figured tops. None of the reissues had a long neck tenon. The reissues did not have serial numbers starting with an "8", "9", or "0" to denote 1958, 1959, or 1960. Rather, the first digit of the vintage-style (Y XXXX format) serial number represented the year of manufacture, so a 1983 started with "3", 1984 started with "4", and so forth. This numbering scheme has confused many collectors who have purchased Les Paul Classics that, starting in 1990, carry a similar serial number format. While the Reissue carried an almost 50% premium price above a Les Paul Standard at the time, at $1,500 it was within the realm of possibility for many collectors and players.

"The Les Paul Reissue varied in features as the 1980's progressed, and there does not seem to be a logical pattern to the changes. As noted in the following descriptions of actual instruments from that era, these guitars varied considerably in weight (lightest at 8 lbs. 9 oz. and heaviest at 10 lbs. 8 oz.), style of "Gibson" logo (open or closed "b" and "o", position of the logo, and some with a dot and others with no dot over the "i"), color of backplates (black or brown), and color of tops. All except the 1984 described below had a deep red painted mahogany back versus the use of cherry color pore filler, which was reintroduced with the Historic reissues. Some years had no markings of any kind in the pickup cavities; others have an "HCSB" ("heritage cherry sunburst") designation. Reissues were made from 1983 until early 1993, before the Les Paul '59 Historic Reissues with the long neck tenons were released. The neck sizes on Reissues varied somewhat, but were generally of medium thickness. All Reissues were shipped with brown cases with pink lining, although the case style changed in 1986.

"The following is a brief journey through examples of Les Paul reissues of the 80's and early 90's and the unexplainable changes in features that occurred during this timeframe."

"In 1983, the first year of the Reissues, some were still made at the Kalamazoo plant. There was a limited run of bright cherry sunburst Les Paul Reissues, most of which were destined for Japan. They carried two familiar characteristics of the Kalamazoo plant, namely large tortoiseshell side dot markers and an eight digit serial number impressed in the rim of the control cavity. During this year, Reissues were also produced at the Nashville plant. The example pictured with this article, 3 0165, has an unusual reddish-golden color faded top, small black side dot markers, a Gibson logo with open "b" and "o", tuners with "Gibson Deluxe" on them, and black backplates. The guitar is not weight relieved, at a hefty 10 lbs. 8 oz."

i'm sure this has been posted here before, but i was re-reading this old article and thought i'd share. anyone here have any experience with any of the Pre-Historic Reissues?

"By 1983, Gibson finally released a "Les Paul Reissue" model. For whatever reason, they were careful not to call it a 1959 reissue. The Reissue was an immediate hit with Les Paul lovers, since it had features that were closer to a 1959 Les Paul, such as the thin binding in the cutaway, nickel hardware, ABR-1 bridge, vintage-style knobs, and highly figured tops. None of the reissues had a long neck tenon. The reissues did not have serial numbers starting with an "8", "9", or "0" to denote 1958, 1959, or 1960. Rather, the first digit of the vintage-style (Y XXXX format) serial number represented the year of manufacture, so a 1983 started with "3", 1984 started with "4", and so forth. This numbering scheme has confused many collectors who have purchased Les Paul Classics that, starting in 1990, carry a similar serial number format. While the Reissue carried an almost 50% premium price above a Les Paul Standard at the time, at $1,500 it was within the realm of possibility for many collectors and players.

"The Les Paul Reissue varied in features as the 1980's progressed, and there does not seem to be a logical pattern to the changes. As noted in the following descriptions of actual instruments from that era, these guitars varied considerably in weight (lightest at 8 lbs. 9 oz. and heaviest at 10 lbs. 8 oz.), style of "Gibson" logo (open or closed "b" and "o", position of the logo, and some with a dot and others with no dot over the "i"), color of backplates (black or brown), and color of tops. All except the 1984 described below had a deep red painted mahogany back versus the use of cherry color pore filler, which was reintroduced with the Historic reissues. Some years had no markings of any kind in the pickup cavities; others have an "HCSB" ("heritage cherry sunburst") designation. Reissues were made from 1983 until early 1993, before the Les Paul '59 Historic Reissues with the long neck tenons were released. The neck sizes on Reissues varied somewhat, but were generally of medium thickness. All Reissues were shipped with brown cases with pink lining, although the case style changed in 1986.

"The following is a brief journey through examples of Les Paul reissues of the 80's and early 90's and the unexplainable changes in features that occurred during this timeframe."

"In 1983, the first year of the Reissues, some were still made at the Kalamazoo plant. There was a limited run of bright cherry sunburst Les Paul Reissues, most of which were destined for Japan. They carried two familiar characteristics of the Kalamazoo plant, namely large tortoiseshell side dot markers and an eight digit serial number impressed in the rim of the control cavity. During this year, Reissues were also produced at the Nashville plant. The example pictured with this article, 3 0165, has an unusual reddish-golden color faded top, small black side dot markers, a Gibson logo with open "b" and "o", tuners with "Gibson Deluxe" on them, and black backplates. The guitar is not weight relieved, at a hefty 10 lbs. 8 oz."

normal_1983_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue.JPG

"The 1984 Reissue pictured, serial number 4 4776, is an interesting guitar that may have been a special order due to its color and other features. It was definitely made in the Nashville plant, based on its small black side dot markers. This guitar has an appealing dark sunburst quilted top and a dark brown back. The serial number is embossed in gold lettering. It has a Gibson logo that is placed high on the headstock, with closed "b" and "o", Kluson-style tuners with no words or lettering on them, black backplates, and weighs 9 lbs 7 oz. "

normal_1983_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue.JPG

"The 1984 Reissue pictured, serial number 4 4776, is an interesting guitar that may have been a special order due to its color and other features. It was definitely made in the Nashville plant, based on its small black side dot markers. This guitar has an appealing dark sunburst quilted top and a dark brown back. The serial number is embossed in gold lettering. It has a Gibson logo that is placed high on the headstock, with closed "b" and "o", Kluson-style tuners with no words or lettering on them, black backplates, and weighs 9 lbs 7 oz. "

normal_1984_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue.JPG

"The 1985 model, serial number 5 0076, has a beautiful honeyburst quarter-sawn top, black backplates, "Gibson Deluxe" tuners, small dot side dot markers, and open "b" and "o" Gibson logo with dot over the "i". It weighs 8 lbs. 9 oz. A previous owner of this guitar asked Les Paul to sign the pickguard of this instrument

"The year 1986 saw the change in ownership of Gibson from Norlin Industries to a group headed by Henry Juskiewicz. The Les Paul Reissue for this year, 6 0713, has a dark flat sawn sunburst flame top, large black side dot markers, brown backplates, "Gibson Deluxe" tuners, a Gibson logo with open "b" and "o", but no dot over the "i". This guitar has an identical weight to the 1985 model, at 8 lbs. 9 oz.

The open "b" and "o" and use of brown backplates continued from this point forward with Les Paul Reissues. However, the lack of a dot over the "i" in the logo continues from this point until the end of the decade and then reappears in the 90's. "

normal_1986_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue.JPG

"A 1987 Reissue, 7 0970, has a lighter honeyburst flame top and weighs 9 lbs. This particular guitar has large tortoise shell side dot markers."

normal_1987_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue_Honeyburst.JPG

"In 1988, the Reissues take on a bright but darker cherry sunburst top. This particular guitar, 8 0323, has a quartersawn top with tight pinstripe flame. It was shipped with the pickguard in the case but not attached to the guitar. It reverts back to the use of large black side dot markers. This was also the year in which different humbucking pickups (which were designed by Bill Lawrence) with a "circuit board" type layout on the back, were used in Les Pauls. This guitar weighs 9 lbs. 3 oz."

normal_1988_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue_Cherry_Sunburst.JPG

For the end of the decade, the 1989 Reissue model has a darker cherry sunburst top. They also have Bill Lawrence pickups. Weights start to exceed 10 lbs.

image004.jpg

1990's

"As the decade changed, so did the Les Paul Reissue. This early 1993 model, 3 1415, was actually issued with a Historic Division certificate, but precedes the long neck tenon introduction by a few months. It is a lighter cherry sunburst color, and features the return of the dot above the "i" on the Gibson logo. It weighs 9 lbs. 9 oz."

normal_1993_Gibson_Les_Paul_Reissue_Cherry_Sunburst.JPG

HELP FIND THE TRUTH Back in 1988 my best friend was a guitar salesman for Sam Ash Music. When the 'Showcase Edition Guitars' were released, less then 20 music stores got them, and only one of each model. Thats because acording to Gibson ( in 1988 ) they only made 200 'Showcase Edition Guitars'. there were 9 different models and 20 of each model, except for the last model which they made 40. This last model (from Dec. 1988) was the Les Paul Pro, was really a 1956 Goldtop reissue hand singed by 'Les' on the pick guard and a solid, one piece body and , of course, cream P-90's. ( has anyone ever seen one? )(we had no interest in the models with EMG pickups)

My friend and I tried to buy all 40 of them, but we could only get the 5 (Les Paul Pro '1956 Goldtop reissue' showcase edition's, signed by 'Les') , that were sent to the Sam Ash chain of stores. I still have the best one of the 5, as new in the case.

On the cert. of authenticity that came with every 'Showcase edition' guitar, states that.. " This is one of only 200 Showcase Edition Guitars manufactured in 1988." It goes on to say, " There are nine models, you have one of 200 ". I also have a promo card that came with the guitar that states... " One of Only 200 Produced, Certtificate of Authenticity Enclosed in Case "

The reason I'm posting this is because now , 22 years later, Gibson, and everyone, else, is saying there are 200 of each model, and 10 models. That adds up to 2000 'Showcase Edition Guitars' manufactured in 1988 !! I'm trying to keep believing what I have in print, and what I know, (there's only 200 Showcase Edition Guitars) ( and 50 for export)

(from elsewhere on here).

Archived