Gibson Brands Forums

My First Vintage Gibson

DaveT

I posted on an earlier thread about thinking to buy a guitar. Yesterday I bought it at an estate auction. I didn't pay the $1500-2000 price that was suggested it may go for on eBay, I paid much less, but I still fear I might have overpaid since the guitar has flaws I didn't see, and were not noticeable, on the previous pictures I posted. I'd love for comments on whether or not this is still a good Gibson. I've only been playing for a couple years, but I think she sounds great.

My concerns are as follows:

1) In my pictures you can see the guitar has been played down to the wood. How bad is this? Can I put guitar polish on the guitar? I am afraid it might ruin the exposed wood part.

2) I was told on these forums it is probably a 1930's guitar due to the logo. Does that remain? I cant find any serial numbers, year, or model. Someone at the auction told me that the information might be on the inside of the top, so I would need a mirror to see it. Is this true?

3) There is a tiny crack below the bridge. Is this a serious flaw? It is hardly noticeable. I was told by someone at the auction that the crack might close if you put a damp cloth/sponge in the case case with it. Is this true?

4) Lastly, someone put the name 'Johnny' on it which I did not see before I got to the auction, making me lower my max bid. Does this hurt the value of the guitar tremendously?

Thanks all. Despite my worries I am happy with my first vintage guitar!

Edit: I noticed I have a global limit on posting pictures. So I posted only the most important ones. You can see more pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/110458731501534232922/1930SGibsonL50?authuser=0&feat=directlink

post-36210-037600700 1317563841_thumb.jpg

post-36210-087567100 1317563853_thumb.jpg

post-36210-060306100 1317563866_thumb.jpg

Archived