Gibson Brands Forums

Lifeson LP Axcess - IN EBONY

SolitaryPine

Well, it's AL558...maybe they began offering new color options after they hit a certain number?

I still prefer my Royal Crimson :-)

Yeah, that's the largest serial number I've seen. That happens to be a local dealer here in CO, and it is probably the largest of the "non Guitar Center" independent dealers in the country. So, my guess is that it was either a special request from the dealer or one of their customers who backed out on it.

Whether you like that one or not (and I like my Viceroy Brown one better) it's nice to know that they are allowing colors other than the main two choices.

I got my Crimson Red AL from them as well. I saw an Ebony one on eBay as well HERE, looks like they may be producing them in black now...one could be a custom order, two looks like a trend :-)

That's probably true. I was kind of hoping it was a special order in case I should ever decide I wanted a 2nd one, as I don't like the nickel hardware on the ebony.

I like the look of the ebony, though it would certainly benefit from gold hardware to match the gold hats. But my main beef is that part of the price you're paying for an AL Axcess is for the nice flame maple tops on these. Picking the right top was a big deal for me in choosing mine (Royal Crimson). I would cringe at the thought of someone painting such nice wood black! Gibson can "cheat" by putting less "visually desirable" maple tops on the ebony models as they will never be seen sans a re-finish. So perhaps they should just do so and drop the price a bit on these ebony models.

I also think, if Gibson is going to stick other colors out there for this model, they really should update their website to reflect that. It would be very easy for someone who loves ebony Les Pauls to miss these and have a wicked case of buyer's remorse after the fact. I am sure I would have chosen Royal Crimson over the ebony at least for the reason above, but I would have had to think more about that than I did for RC versus viceroy brown -- since I have an iced tea burst LP Standard already that is too close to the VB models.

Archived