Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Burstbuckers

alan56

Hi all...Newbie to the boards here.

I picked up a Type I Burstbucker used and the sticker on the back says AL 5...I've read that the type I's are Alnico 2's...Is this pickup actually a Pro ?..or are there Type I's out there with Alnico 5 magnets ?

Its in the neck of my Tele and love it !

Thanks Folks

Guest BentonC

The BB Pro's would be the ones with the Alnico V magnets. The BB 1, 2, and 3 use Alnico II... Sounds like something out of the ordinary if you were supposed to get BB 1, and it says Alnico V.

The BB Pro's would be the ones with the Alnico V magnets. The BB 1, 2, and 3 use Alnico II... Sounds like something out of the ordinary if you were supposed to get BB 1, and it says Alnico V.

The sticker on the back definitely says.. Type I AL 5 ...So maybe I lucked out and got a one off or something...at any rate it sure sounds good whatever it is..

• 2 weeks later...

If it sounds good- that's all that matters.

Did you get it brand new, and did the packaging indicate it was a BB 1?

I picked it up used with the Gibson box. The confusing thing about it is.....The box has labelling that says "BurstBucker Pro with Alnico 5 magnet", but like I said, the sticker on the pickup says Type1 Al 5.

Type 1 Pro ?..or..Pro Type 1 ? [confused]

• 1 month later...

I picked it up used with the Gibson box. The confusing thing about it is.....The box has labelling that says "BurstBucker Pro with Alnico 5 magnet", but like I said, the sticker on the pickup says Type1 Al 5.

Type 1 Pro ?..or..Pro Type 1 ? [confused]

I'd bet that you have a "Pro" and the "Type 1" on the sticker is referring to bridge vs neck or regular vs F spacing (poles) or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Benton, a friend of mine has a 2011 Gibson Faded - which he is convinced is a "Traditional". Neither of us are sure what bridge pickup is in this guitar. They are open faced (no cover) black and white Zebra and came stock on this guitar.

See this post - first one at the top of this page: My link

Gibson tells me it's a BB PRO, Yorkville the Canadian Distributor tells me it's a BB2. I'm still not POSITIVE what it is. But here's my semi-related question:

As you may know, Bare Knuckles in the UK make "Gibson" style pickups. I heard one yesterday that I really liked. The company also give the DCR for the Black Dog Bridge, listed under their Vintage Hot series. See attached image.

1) What is Gibson's answer to this pickup, the BB PRO?

2) What would Gibson's bar graph look like in comparison to the Black Dog's? — Strong mids, Bass and Treble very similar etc.

Thanks.

post-38951-075060900 1326291887_thumb.jpg

Archived