Gibson Brands Forums

2006 59 Murphy

teledaddy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, just purchased 2006 historic 59 RI Murphy aged, have not received yet, but top looks great in photos. Just wondering was 2006 a good year for this guitar or any bad mojo. I welcome the forums vast knowledge and expertise on this subject.

My '06 was purchased in early '07. Came from Private Reserve Guitars (MF) and was listed on their site as a "blem". Sold at a very favorable price, It was sold as a blem because it had been used as a photo guitar and couldn't be sold as "new". Looked great in their ad so I sprang for it. To get it to play acceptably it needed a new nut, the bridge post holes filled and re-drilled so the thing could be properly intonated (bridge was tilted towards the fingerboard) and new saddles cut for proper string spacing and alignment over the poles. Fortunately I could do most of this myself, but to say I was a bit perturbed is an understatement. I'm still amazed that a $5k guitar got out of the factory that way. It sounds and plays great now, but I still get ticked off about it. Here's a pic of it when it was on the MF/Private Reserve site.

Photoof59LP96680onMFWebsite2-21-07.jpg

Here it is in my studio right after receipt from MF. Hard to believe this is the same guitar, but look closely at the top.

59VOS2.jpg

My '06 was purchased in early '07. Came from Private Reserve Guitars (MF) and was listed on their site as a "blem". Sold at a very favorable price, It was sold as a blem because it had been used as a photo guitar and couldn't be sold as "new". Looked great in their ad so I sprang for it. To get it to play acceptably it needed a new nut, the bridge post holes filled and re-drilled so the thing could be properly intonated (bridge was tilted towards the fingerboard) and new saddles cut for proper string spacing and alignment over the poles. Fortunately I could do most of this myself, but to say I was a bit perturbed is an understatement. I'm still amazed that a $5k guitar got out of the factory that way. It sounds and plays great now, but I still get ticked off about it. Here's a pic of it when it was on the MF/Private Reserve site.

Photoof59LP96680onMFWebsite2-21-07.jpg

Here it is in my studio right after receipt from MF. Hard to believe this is the same guitar, but look closely at the top.

59VOS2.jpg

Thanks for the reply "sok66". My 59 ri came in and is excellent in spite of fed ex playing a little football with it. Had to replace bridge pick up ring. Plays, sounds and looks great. I will now be on a quest for another. 961237-5.jpg 961237-6.jpg 961237-7.jpg 961237-8.jpg

Hello forum, just wanted to post photos of my 2006 59 RI Murphy. As I said, when it came in Fed Ex had been a little rough, but was able to remedy. Plays and sounds great and I think looks similar to the photos sent by "sok66".

Beauty!

I have an old musician buddy who has one he bought several years ago. Has never been played, took it out of the shipping box, photgraphed it extensively, put it all back and stored it away. I bust on him regularly, these things were made to be played.

• 2 months later...

Archived