Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan P rail in my Explorer

Hollyview_Martin

Hey all! I not new but don't get on the Forums that often. Last time I was here I was showing off my new Les Paul but now I'm bringing new life back into my Epiphone Explorer. It has been through many phases and the last one it had an EMG active system in it and now I'm going back to Passive. I'm going to be installing a Seymour Duncan P rail in the Neck position and a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge. I know a lot of guys have been putting in the P rail sets but I'm gonna try something different and hope it sounds awesome. There is also going to be Mini Toggles for the coil tapping on both PUPS and all new electronics! Needless to say I'm super excited to hear what she sounds like when she is done. I'm just waiting on the two Mini Toggles to arrive and the work starts. I will be posting pics of the install and finished product. Please feel free to comment on weather you think this sounds like a cool Idea or not. LOL I'm hoping it will be sweet!

Hey all! I not new but don't get on the Forums that often. Last time I was here I was showing off my new Les Paul but now I'm bringing new life back into my Epiphone Explorer. It has been through many phases and the last one it had an EMG active system in it and now I'm going back to Passive. I'm going to be installing a Seymour Duncan P rail in the Neck position and a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge. I know a lot of guys have been putting in the P rail sets but I'm gonna try something different and hope it sounds awesome. There is also going to be Mini Toggles for the coil tapping on both PUPS and all new electronics! Needless to say I'm super excited to hear what she sounds like when she is done. I'm just waiting on the two Mini Toggles to arrive and the work starts. I will be posting pics of the install and finished product. Please feel free to comment on weather you think this sounds like a cool Idea or not. LOL I'm hoping it will be sweet!

Looking forward to reading about this.

BTW, while the JB is a great pup, why not go for P rails in the bridge position too.

Alan

I think P-rails are fantastic, been meaning to try them out for a while but never seem to have the money... <_<

However, I think mini-toggles are just plain ugly on a guitar - I'd go with Seymour Duncan Triple Shots instead. [thumbup]

Looking forward to reading about this.

BTW, while the JB is a great pup, why not go for P rails in the bridge position too.

Alan

The reason I didn't go with another P rail in the Bridge is I already had the JB so it would cheaper and also I'm still wanting to use the guitar for our more rockin' songs! I guess I still wanted that FULL ON HUMBUCKER sound if ya know what I mean.

I think P-rails are fantastic, been meaning to try them out for a while but never seem to have the money... <_<

However, I think mini-toggles are just plain ugly on a guitar - I'd go with Seymour Duncan Triple Shots instead. [thumbup]

Yeah my friend turned me on to the P rail. Until three weeks ago I had no idea there was such a thing but since I've been watching youtube vids of them I'm pretty excited to hear it in the Explorer. As far as the Mini Toggles go we went with that method instead of push pull pots due to cleaner/ easier install. I'm no electronics genius by no means and since I'm doing a odd combo with the P rail and the JB we had a hard time finding any wiring diagrams with the setup I wanted.

• 1 year later...

Wow so I haven't been on here in a while! Like a year a while! Update on the Explorer..... I ended up putting another P-rail in the Bridge. The way the P-rail and the JB acted together just didn't sound right! All is well in the world now with two P-rails. I should have went with that combo to start with. [tongue] At ay rate the guitar sound FANTASTIC now and I'm much happier with it! As far as the mini toggles go I ended up using the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot PUP rings to get my switching. You can look at the pics to see what you think. Merry Christmas Everyone!

post-13583-058772100 1356356754_thumb.jpg

Archived