Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop les Paul custom vs precustom shop les Paul custom

jt500lp

Nobodies replied yet and I cannot answer your question but I do remember reading that earlier Custom's somewere I believe in the 80's were solid bodies. The Custom's today are weight relieved. I'm not saying one is better than the other, it's whatever you like that matters. Supposedly the original Custom's were solid bodies and I have read it makes a difference in the tone. You would have to do a comparison with the two styles to hear any difference. As far as the quality from the Custom Shop today, I think it's a hit or miss like anything else. I bought a 68 Custom LP and everyone of the inlays were not centered between the frets the intire length of the neck. It was off enough to be really noticeable and ruined the looks of that guitar. This is a Custom Shop build with a healthy price tag, no excuse for it. That guitar was returned for another that had no issues. I have numerous complaints about quality from either shop go figure. I don't think Gibson really cares about quality as much as quantity, their to much into making big profits. It's pretty obvious otherwise they would have done something by now to improve their workmanship and be more consistent with their quality. They are aware of the customer complaints and monitor this forum. I think the the build quality would be better if one person built the intire guitar from start to finish and was held accountable for the wofkmanship. If it didn't pass inspection they don't get paid then the guitars would come out of each shop perfect everytime.

I just played a brand new les Paul custom at the guitar center. I compare it to my guitar and the main difference was the new custom was way lighter. I examined the guitar and found that the craftsmanship and quality seemed to be very very close to my 1997 custom. I'm thinking that the old customs are just as good as the new ones. It's crazy that they are so much more expensive now than they use to be.

Archived