Gibson Brands Forums

Some advice for my new AJ 220s

UncleBS

I have been playing for about 15 years, and finally got the chance to treat myself with a new acoustic. I read a lot of reviews on this model, and I must say, I absolutely love it! I played several models, and brands. I tune down 1/2 step, and play a lot in drop D. It has a very rich tone to it. I am very impressed at the sound for the price. My question is, would a professional setup for the lower tuning be a good idea? I use .13 gauge strings, which I think are a little heavier than what came on it. I would say my playing level is intermediate, but the sound of my new AJ 220s has made me fall in love with playing all over again. If i could get rid of some frett buzz when tuning down, Id love it even more. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks.

Hello UncleBS,

I know what you mean. I have an AJ200s and just love the balance tone of the guitar. Anyway if you have fret buzzing, then you need to have a setup done on the guitar. Or at least have the truss bar adjusted to a accommodate the heavier strings. It could also be a high fret and a guitar tech would be able to address that during the setup.

Hope that helps,

Archived