Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Grounding Question?

ldweber51

Hello,

I bought a Joyo JT-305 pedal tuner to use with my guitars.

I used it with my strat first with good results. I hooked it up my ES335 and after tuning several strings it locked up on B#. I now have a hum & grounding issue. If i touch the strings or any metal on the guitar I get crackling\popping noise.

From what i know & info i have gather on the web it sounds like a ground issue with the input jack or pot. May be a broken solder connection.

Could a capacitor be an issue also?

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this problem I'm having.

Thanking you in advance, Larry...

Try a new cable first. Cables go bad because of all of the pulling and pushing, guitar guts are more durable for sure though jacks and whatnot can certainly go bad.

I doubt a capacitor is causing the problem but you won't know until you systematically trouble-shoot the problem.

Try a known good cable, go directly into an amp with no effects, and let us know what's up.

Try a new cable first. Cables go bad because of all of the pulling and pushing, guitar guts are more durable for sure though jacks and whatnot can certainly go bad.

I doubt a capacitor is causing the problem but you won't know until you systematically trouble-shoot the problem.

Try a known good cable, go directly into an amp with no effects, and let us know what's up.

The new tuner stays at B# everytime it's plugged in so i assumed it must has caused the problem. Now i'm not sure. It could be the amp, it's a princeton reverb.

I tried 2 cables directly to the amp... amp vol 3.

Layed strat & es335 on my lap, turned up volume to mid on the guitar, i get crackling\static from both guitars. I expect more on the strat (single coils)but both guitars were about equal. I'm not use to any noise from the humbuckers. I suppose it could be dry winter air causing the issue. I've never noticed it this bad past winters.

I don't have a 3rd guitar cord to try...

If the problems persists without using the tuner and with different guitars you might still have a bad cable there. Of course there could be an issue with the amp as well.

Have you changed anything with your setup? Did you move the amp, plug into a different outlet, etc?

If the problems persists without using the tuner and with different guitars you might still have a bad cable there. Of course there could be an issue with the amp as well.

Have you changed anything with your setup? Did you move the amp, plug into a different outlet, etc?

nothing else changed. new tuner came in, plugged in the guitar one at a time and was tuning away with es335. tuner locked up and I started having the issue.

i'll pickup a new chord & give that a try before doing anything else. once again thanks!

Archived