Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorer

RyanLloyd

Hey there, Sorry if this is in the wrong section (first time using this forum).

I'm possibly looking at purchasing an Epiphone Explorer but I have yet to have the chance to test one of them out, from anyone here who owns or previously owned one of them can you please give me some feedback on this instrument?

Now I own a Gibson LP Studio, and as some of you may know it is kind of addicting to re-purchase a product from the same brand, although would it be worth the investment for a Gibson Explorer (possibly second hand)? Is there a noticeable difference?

I think that's all of my questions for now.

Cheers, Ryan.

from anyone here who owns or previously owned one of them can you please give me some feedback on this instrument?

Sure, let me just crank up my Marshall.. er wait, wrong feedback.

I have a 2004 Korean Epi Gothic ('58) Explorer. I can't speak to the whole batch that mine came from, but my one is/was an absolute dog to look upon. One of the tuners is about 3mm out of line with the rest, one of the pickup rings doesn't cover the route at one end, and the other ring is noticeably crooked. There is a decent chunk of wood missing from the high edge of the fretboard where the neck joins to the body. The radius around the edge of the body varies wildly, and even the Epiphone logo printed on the truss rod cover is nowhere near straight.

But hell if it isn't the best playing guitar I've ever owned. I think that's all I really need to say.

Now I own a Gibson LP Studio, and as some of you may know it is kind of addicting to re-purchase a product from the same brand, although would it be worth the investment for a Gibson Explorer (possibly second hand)? Is there a noticeable difference?

It's really up to you if the difference is worthwhile. A Gibson will have more expensive wood. It may well be better finished. It certainly has more expensive hardware on it. For me, that isn't enough to justify the price, not when the Epiphone is still a perfectly capable guitar in every right.

Although if you could get your hands on an old Gibson E2, or a 50th Anniversary Explorer, that's a whole different kettle of fish. #-o

Thanks for the reply Sjael!

Where did you buy your Explorer from to arrive in such bad condition as that? :huh:

Just searched the Gibson E2 into Google, and wow what a beauty that is!

I bought it practically as-new from someone who presumably didn't take to guitar because he never had it set up - when I got it, the low E string was actually touching half of the frets. Because of that I managed to get it for NZ$350 (instead of the $899 retail) so I overlooked its other flaws. Totally glad I did. [thumbup]

There are actually two kinds of E2 Explorer. There's the original, with a 5-layer alternating walnut and maple body with contoured edges - which looks like this:

wme2.jpg

And then a couple of years later, they also started making the model in your post, and called it the E/2 or CMT Explorer. They're now both commonly referred to as E2s. Both pretty awesome guitars. Pity very few ever came to this end of the world, so I've never had a shot at one. [glare]

Hell, I'd even settle for a Thunderhorse..

mg4686e.jpg#-o

Archived