Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EMJCSNSGH...what does this translate to?

telepbrman

Hey all, I'm the original owner of the now discontinued AJ500RC 12 fretter, and as I was looking over my old paperwork on her,

I found a shipping label from Music 123 that stated: Epiphone EMJCSNSGH as the description of my guitar. This is not what was

on the Epiphone web page as my model...anyhow, just wondering what you all think this translates to...

• 2 years later...

Hey all, I'm the original owner of the now discontinued AJ500RC 12 fretter, and as I was looking over my old paperwork on her,

I found a shipping label from Music 123 that stated: Epiphone EMJCSNSGH as the description of my guitar. This is not what was

on the Epiphone web page as my model...anyhow, just wondering what you all think this translates to...

I m also the original owner of one of the AJ-500RC guitars, my "Model" designation on the paper label inside the soundhole is "AJ-500RCSNS". I have always wondered what those last three letters (SNS) meant, but have never seen another AJ-500RC so I have no idea how their paper labels looked.

I suspect I may have gotten one of the last AJ500RC models produced....Sweetwater Music placed my order and it took Gibson about 6 months and almost as many missed promised delivery dates to finally get it to Sweetwater. I see yours also has those three letters in the same order mixed into the middle of the description on the order. I would suspect that the E stands for Epiphone and the M stands for Masterbilt and the J probably stands for Jumbo (the AJ was suppose to have stood for Advanced Jumbo, where the "Advanced" referred to the positioning of the bracing on the lower bout closer to the soundhole.) Yours has a bunch of letters mine doesn't...but you described the description on the shipping label. What does the paper label inside the body of yours say is the model number.

To be honest, I was SO vocal on the forum about the difficulty Sweetwater had getting the guitar (my order was placed not very long before the model was marked "DISCONTINUED" on Epiphone's website) that I really thought that the SNS stood for "Shut-up Now S**nl*r" (my last name) [scared]

OK, so I realize this is an old thread, but following the forum rules I did the search and revived it. I would appreciate hearing what others might have to say about this issue, as I have always wondered.

BTW...I own a dozen guitars ranging in price from $149 to $6,000...the AJ500RC is THE ONE that puts it all together for me. At first I wondered if I would ever get use to the fat V-neck, now I wish I could send back my custom shop Breedlove Revival 000 slot-headed 12-fretter and have them redo the neck to match my beloved AJ500RC's. My AJ gets 10X the playing time that all my other guitars get combined... [thumbup]

Cheers!

Dugly [cool]

Thanks a bunch Pete...yet my guitar is not a cutaway...I think the "C" may stand for cedar, since this

guitar is the AJ-500RC 12 fret, it has a cedar top. What do you think? As for the other letters, I am

all in on those....

AJ=Advanced Jumbo

500=Model Number

RC=Rosewood & Cedar

BTW, the rosewood is Indian Rosewood, not Brazilian....but who's complaining, I certainly am not. This guitar sounds as good as my custom shop Breedlove, which is redwood soundboard over Ziricote (a Mexican wood that is visually stunning and said to rival Brazilian Rosewood for tonal contribution).

Cheers!

Dugly [cool]

• 5 weeks later...

EMJCSNSGH would seem to be Music123's stocking identifer. Means nothing to Epiphone. Keep the original paperwork. As these things sometimes go, an antique is worth more if it comes with the box, more yet with the original sales receipt.

Will this likely translate to a windfall to the current owner? Likely not. Maybe your great-grandkids.

Archived