Gibson Brands Forums

2005 LP Custom Authentication Please

domain

I'm new to the community and am looking for an LP custom. I've found what looks like a clean 2005 LP Custom with chrome hardware online from what looks to be a reputable seller. No COA is available.

I've been doing a lot of homework over the past year, but some of the nuances of authentic vs. counterfeit guitars are still hard to spot. One issue I have with the guitar in question is the Custom shop logo. Most others I've seen on 2005 use the circular logo, this one is the text only version. Also, the white ink stamp doesn't look typical. Is this correct? How bout the rest of the guitar? What say - any red flags?

2005CustomHeadstockFront.png

CustomShopLogo2005.png

2005SerialNumber.png

2005customfront.png

MCUCustom.png

2005customincase.png

Thanks!!

Hi; It's real difficult to be exact from these photos; Do you have the guitar in your posession or are you just thinking about buying it? If you have it already post some close up shots of the wiring detail and pots; these will usually offer a definitive answer. Also close ups of both fingerboard; (should be ebony NOT rosewood) and also the binding detail at the edge of the fingerboard; the binding should encompass the edge of the fret wire to the point that a re fret usually entails removing the binding. Also close ups of the binding detail at the junction between the neck and the headstock. Usually the binding on fakes can't follow the curved line or the angle of the headstock and so a thicker "infill" piece of binding is added;(I've added a link below to a photo of what this detail looks like on an original). If its a 2008 model there should also be a Certificate of Authenticity with it - which should contain a hologram and the CS logo on a Gibson background. Is there a case with it? These come supplied with a Custom Shop case. The one in your photos sure doesn't look like one. What's the neck like? Round and deep or shallow and fast? Have you played it? What's the weight like?

Judging from the photos you've added its hard to say with any accuracy; the headstock looks genuine enough though the font for the serial number doesn't seem quite right; neither does the Custom Shop logo it looks too big; (and the angle seems a bit too acute - but that might just be me being overly suspicious). Also this guitar look like the Fretless Wonder re issue model; in which case the hardware is exclusively gold; and the securing screws between the pickup surrounds and the body are usually (and exclusively on CS models) black. BUT again NONE of these points alone are absolute proof of a fake - Custom Shop will make to whatever spec they're asked too and if someone had specifically asked for chrome hardware and were prepared to pay for it then fine; Though these are usually signature type models which have a different serial number pre fix. Also there nothing to say that the previous owner(s) didn't change the hardware themselves for chrome so its NOT an exact science. Try the wiring test; as once the cover is off the quality of the routing becomes evident and will usually be the first indication of whether its an original or not; followed by the quality of the wiring and the pots - that for me has always been 100% accurate in identifying a fake . Hope this helps

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii613/jbuch65667/82BlackBeauty3.jpg

Archived