Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a difference between the sg 61 reissue, and the satin finish?

freddyfingers

I have had the good fortune of playing a sg 61 reissue. About 1999. I also played the sg 61 reissue, satin finish, the worn brown. the guy in the store did not know the difference between the two, except for the finish. to me, they sounded the same, through the same amp. O liked the satin finish, as I tend to stick to gloss finishes. So, does anyone here know what the difference is between these two? The price difference is 500 dollars. Does it cost that much more to make the gloss? Or are there some other differences that lower the cost of the satin version. I really liked the satin. And at the same time, they make the white townsend model with P90's, is that also the same guitar, just with different pickups? Hard for me to tell.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! Thats comforting to know. Do yo think the extra finish effects the sound in any way? i didn't hear a difference. Are these guitars pit through the Plek process, entirely? The website says that the nut is, but doesn't mention the neck.

I just found out that the necks are different. The satin finish has the baked maple, and the gloss has the rosewood. Need to play them again, but i didn't hear the difference my self, and I hope this info won't change my mind. Sometimes its best not to know!

• 4 months later...

I just found out that the necks are different. The satin finish has the baked maple, and the gloss has the rosewood. Need to play them again, but i didn't hear the difference my self, and I hope this info won't change my mind. Sometimes its best not to know!

I've got the satin version. Yes it is baked maple. I actually prefer it to rosewood - it's nice and smooth for bends and looks beautiful as well. The other difference is that the satin version will vibrate more freely - you'll feel that and hear it acoustically and when amplified. I returned my gloss version as the satin kicked it's a**.

Cheers.

Archived