Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for first "nice" guitar

iankinzel

I can't decide if that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen, or not. Dang. Anyway, If you're going for a Neil Youn sort of thing, staying with the more traditional Bigsby would be the deal, then getting a minibucker and P90.

Nah - I've tried the Bigsby before, and it just doesn't fit with my playing mechanics. In fact, vibrato arms always seemed to get in the way no matter what system I tried, until I picked up a Jazzmaster at a local shop and became enamored with the floating trem. The hybrid I've put together for my Les Paul is based on that style of vibrato system - I need to be able to grip the arm and strum simultaneously, but most designs have the arm too low and too far off to the side. In contrast, I've got mine about two inches above the strings, running straight down the middle of the bridge.

What I'm going for is more akin to J Mascis, which is funny given that I figured out the sound I'm going for a year or more ago - but only heard of Dinosaur Jr a week ago. Go figure. By the time I'm done, my guitar will be a sort of Les Paul/Jazzmaster hybrid.

Archived