Gibson Brands Forums

Setup trouble on a new R9

boyscout

On a new 2011 R9, string buzz on strings 6 & 5, and even occasionally string 4, with moderate to heavy play. No problem at all on strings 1-3.

Buzzing seems to happen on the first or second fret higher (in pitch) than the one being played, after about the seventh fret, but I can't be sure, my eyes aren't great. Again, no problem AT ALL with strings 1-3, they can be set nice and low.

Neck relief has been tried throughout its range, from .005 (as far as I want to push the rod) to .023 (when the nut is sloppy on the rod). Buzz improves slightly at .023... if I could take it to .035 I might kill the buzz and be able to shoot arrows with it too.

The #6 string has been at various heights up to 6/64. The nut looks OK, haven't measured it but I have other Gibson customs and it looks similar.

All the other guitars have been EASY to set up with relief of .010 or less and #6 string height of 4/64 to 5/64.

What's different about this one?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

On a new 2011 R9, string buzz on strings 6 & 5, and even occasionally string 4, with moderate to heavy play. No problem at all on strings 1-3.

Buzzing seems to happen on the first or second fret higher (in pitch) than the one being played, after about the seventh fret, but I can't be sure, my eyes aren't great. Again, no problem AT ALL with strings 1-3, they can be set nice and low.

Neck relief has been tried throughout its range, from .005 (as far as I want to push the rod) to .023 (when the nut is sloppy on the rod). Buzz improves slightly at .023... if I could take it to .035 I might kill the buzz and be able to shoot arrows with it too.

The #6 string has been at various heights up to 6/64. The nut looks OK, haven't measured it but I have other Gibson customs and it looks similar.

All the other guitars have been EASY to set up with relief of .010 or less and #6 string height of 4/64 to 5/64.

What's different about this one?

Thanks in advance.

have the frets levelled.

have the frets levelled.

Thanks, but this is a months-old thread and the guitar is long gone, returned to the dealer. It did need fret leveling, at both top and bottom of the neck, and the neck/fretboard was unevenly-shaped, not things I was going to pay to fix on a brand-new guitar. It went back, and the dealer was snotty and resistive to the end. I bought another 2011 R9 days later and it was and is just fine.

Archived