Gibson Brands Forums

Is my Epiphone Les Paul a chinese fake?

ZuluV1

Hi,

I'm sure this forum gets slammed with paranoid people such as myself asking whether or not they have just bought a fake, so apologies for another one.

Here's the deal.

I purchased my Epiphone Les Paul Standard on eBay for £400. This came with Gibson 496R and 500T Pups, new pots and switch, so basically, fully upgraded. It also came with a nice flight case, but that's not really relevant.

The guitar looks and plays really nice and sounds great, so normally, I would be overjoyed with it and could sleep easy safe in the knowledge that I own a nice guitar.

However, certain things on it make me wonder whether it is genuine or not.

I have attached pictures, but the tuners on the back are not straight, the serial number is printed on the wood, not in it, and when you look closely at the back, you can see a line around the body which makes it look like its a thin piece of laminate rather than solid wood.

Don't get me wrong, it is very smooth and polished, with no rough edges etc.

I would really appreciate it, if you guys could take a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi,

I'm sure this forum gets slammed with paranoid people such as myself asking whether or not they have just bought a fake, so apologies for another one.

Here's the deal.

I purchased my Epiphone Les Paul Standard on eBay for £400. This came with Gibson 496R and 500T Pups, new pots and switch, so basically, fully upgraded. It also came with a nice flight case, but that's not really relevant.

The guitar looks and plays really nice and sounds great, so normally, I would be overjoyed with it and could sleep easy safe in the knowledge that I own a nice guitar.

However, certain things on it make me wonder whether it is genuine or not.

I have attached pictures, but the tuners on the back are not straight, the serial number is printed on the wood, not in it, and when you look closely at the back, you can see a line around the body which makes it look like its a thin piece of laminate rather than solid wood.

Don't get me wrong, it is very smooth and polished, with no rough edges etc.

I would really appreciate it, if you guys could take a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Hmm. I'm not that au fait with Epi LP's but the veneer on the back and the tuning pegs being all wonky look dubious to me. Perhaps ask in the Epi forum where the Epi experts hang out.

Hmm. I'm not that au fait with Epi LP's but the veneer on the back and the tuning pegs being all wonky look dubious to me. Perhaps ask in the Epi forum where the Epi experts hang out.

Thanks for the reply. I will re-post in the Epiphone section. Not really sure I ended up here ;)

Archived